Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Are the chassis rails the same height from the ground on both sided where the lower wishbones mount? If so, then something must have happened to make the bodywork sag on that side. If not, then as you say something must be bent in the suspension set up. If something is bent in the suspension then I'd expect to see some effect at the rear too. It's best to check chassis height from the ground, not bodywork.

I'm surprised that your original springs were longer. Maybe a change in the mk2 chassis design. As I'd said, my old car had compressed front spring length of 8.8 inches, your car must have been nearer 10 inches with the old springs. Is that right? Maybe they were just set up differently...

Ok. Made some changes today and I’m more confused.

To recap - Old springs back on the car (swapped from side to side). Tie rods adjusted (big difference between each side) height now looked/felt better - but not perfect.

Took car for alignment this morning.

Full set up, the chassis rails are still10mm lower on the Drivers side front (proper alignment rig with a good guy doing it) he’s confused. He then has a brainwave and lifts the near side rear a quarter inch. This fixes/balances the front height. So He then takes the rear coilover (std springs on the front adjustable coilover at rear) - manages to free it and raises the drivers side (it rubs a bit so didn’t want it lower) permanently.

The car is then set up beautifully - all aligned, level at front the whole deal. I’m thrilled.

Car was then taken for wheel balancing where the front was jacked up. Drove the car for 25 minutes.

Car feels funny and front is rubbing, the car has sunk again. Drivers side front still (despite being on old passenger side spring now).

Spring hasn’t snapped. Nothing else is snapped or bent or looks welded at different heights. Chassis is straight. It’s standard cortina mk4 wishbone set up with granny hubs.

Here’s the bit I don’t get. If drivers side is jacked up, then dropped down it settles at exactly the correct ride height.

But Bounce the car 10 times and it sinks. An inch and three quarter drop in the wheel arch.

It still moves when it’s sunk (so it’s not frozen). But it won’t hold the ride height.

I give in!

Any ideas?

Have you tried swapping the dampers from side to side or only the springs?
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Some ideas. Your problem could well be in the rear suspension. I assume the rear is mk2 Granada. It sort of sounds like something is moving when jacked up, and the settling down after a few bounces. So maybe it's a failing bush? The rear end mounts to the car via 3 large bushes, the one at the back of the diff is the most likely of the 3 to fail, and is rather hard to see. Usually there is a cover over it from inside the boot floor, so maybe you could remove it to check for excessive movement? These 3 bushes at the back are about 4 inches in diameter, and could easily cause the problem you are seeing.
    Definitely a tricky problem...

Thanks for ideas chaps.

Haven’t tried swapping the shocks yet. I guess drivers side could be sticking on compression... but not enough to fight a spring? Definitely my next step though. Will probably just remove that shock completely and see if it changes anything.

When I did a test jack, it was only front drivers side that lifted, and I only bounced at that front end... it didn’t need much to make it drop..

Hadn’t thought about rear end bushes at all.... I’m not sure my bouncing would affected the back at all. But definitely worth a look, short of looking and wiggling not sure how easy that’ll be to spot though.

Thinking about it - I can isolate front from rear... axle stands on the chassis at the rear - then (carefully) jack front drivers side upand see if still sinks.

Then do the same but remove the shock.

At least then I theoretically have narrowed down the options... I think.

Yes, that's a reasonable way to isolate the rear, but you might see less drop at the front because the rear will have to lift the whole weight instead of being helped by the rear springs, as the sag you see at the front is trying to twist the whole chassis. Ideally you'd jack the rear of the car up at one point on the centre line for this test, but that's not a safe thing to do... Hopefully you understand what I mean, don't think I explained well.

Quote Originally Posted by richard8166 View Post
    Yes, that's a reasonable way to isolate the rear, but you might see less drop at the front because the rear will have to lift the whole weight instead of being helped by the rear springs, as the sag you see at the front is trying to twist the whole chassis. Ideally you'd jack the rear of the car up at one point on the centre line for this test, but that's not a safe thing to do... Hopefully you understand what I mean, don't think I explained well.
    Understood clearly - thanks Richard.

Will report back!

Rear bushes look good. Tried various combinations of supporting the rear - to isolate the problem. Ended up using axle stands on the chassis just enought to stop movement, but still have the wheels on the ground.

Conclusion I've reached is that it must still be the spring. Ordered some new ones (standard cortina, 12.5", 235lb) will go on the car next week. May well swap out the shocks for new ones regardless.

I've got Spax on there currently. Seems to make sense they are standard cortina mk3 spec shock?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast