Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pilgrim mk2 front springs?

Hi,

My front off side spring is shorter than the other by 20mm....

Possibly due to being on the road for 24 years, possibly due to me, er, sitting in the drivers seat....

Anyone know the specs or a source?

Alex

Four or five stud hubs and what engine?

Cortina front end with Granada 5 stud hubs, rover v8

From an old thread the spec was 240lb per inch (silver/red iirc) or 260lb (silver/blue iirc). You can try Burton Power they have various lengths/ratings for the mk5 cortina.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Mine are now a lovely flakey brown colour... no idea what uncle den paint code was originally on them... any idea what length I’m after?

I have a spare pair of front springs from my old mk2 Sumo with RV8. They had been on the car 15 years or so, but I swapped to a higher rate. Apart from a bit of rust they are fine. If you want them, they are yours.
    I think I have the specs for them written down somewhere. I found a fair bit of info from this forum a few years ago when I was calculating possible new spring rates, but I've not found it yet...
    Cheers Richard.

Hi Richard,

That’s really kind of you. I did think about going to try and fit new if I’m going to take the old ones off l but I’m not sure. Do you know the length of the ones you’ve got?

I’ve spoken to dampertech who have supplied pilgrim over the yearsa very knowledgable chap.. He doesn’t know the mk2 specs, but can measure/test my spring and copy it. I’d rather not be without the car though..

I’m waiting for pilgrim to come back to me to see if anyone there knows (I’d guess not).

However I’ve seen another thread on here that mentions 11.5” and 280lbs as the improved spec for the mk2 (early spec was 12.5” and 220lb) does that sound familiar?

Alex

This is the thread with the information from Den who used to own Pilgrim: http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...t=50623&page=2

Hi Alex,
    I measured my springs tonight, and they are 11" long.
    I found some of my spring rate notes, and one bit of information that you might find useful is that at ride height the compressed spring length was about 8.8". That's 2.2" of compression from which I estimate a spring rate of 240lbs/in, which matches the old thread dgosumo linked to. I remember that thread from my earlier research...
    If you want new springs, then the easiest source is from Burtons. They quote standard rate at 235lbs/in , but you will want the 1 inch drop version, which they list as 11.5" long. Will get a slight increase in front ride height.
    I have a picture of my old front springs, but I'll have to post it tomorrow from a proper computer.
    Hope this helps !

Approximately 280lbs/in springs were from the V6 cortina. Standard length was 12.5". I recall that Burton used to do a 1" drop version, but I don't see that on their site any more. On a RV8 sumo that would be quite stiff, but ok if that's what you are going for. You would need to measure your car to be sure you get the right length!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast