Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bolt head identification help

Hi all, I want to buy the correct type/size of socket to be able to remove the bolts holding down the inlet manifold on my Mike Huddart built SBC. Could someone please confirm what type of bolt heads these are? I have googled bolt heads and I am fairly sure they are referred to as 12 point bolts, but the guy in Halfords had never heard of one, which don’t mean a lot I know

One of my old 3/8” ring spanners seems to be the closest fit, but is a bit sloppy and I don’t want to round of the bolt head.

Apart from allowing a greater range of spanner positions, why are these are sort of bolts used, because they look more prone to rounding off than the normal hex bolts.

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

they are standard 12 point fixings - not 'special' in any way. Standard socket or spanner fit.

they are less prone to rounding than a 6 point as the torque is spread over more faces (and they look prettier especially in stainless)

As above, nothing "special" and available if you break one, https://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/metri...8-b18271m.html

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

How come you are having to remove the inlet manifold Paul? Nothing serious i hope

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    How come you are having to remove the inlet manifold Paul? Nothing serious i hope

rgds
    Gary
    After a long hard run, i am getting a tiny amount of oil working its way up a few of the bolts and accumulating underneath the carb, in the valley on top of the manifold. I just want to remove the offending bolts one at a time , clean them up and dab some loctite thread sealer on the thread. I have been meaning to do this for over a year , but family problems and other stuff keeps getting in the way.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by russell_ram2 View Post
    they are standard 12 point fixings - not 'special' in any way. Standard socket or spanner fit.

they are less prone to rounding than a 6 point as the torque is spread over more faces (and they look prettier especially in stainless)
    OK, thanks for confirming what they are called. All my small sockets that size are 6 point ,so it looks like i need to go buy me a rack of small short reach 12 point sockets .
    Paul.

Arp bolts just use standard sockets or spanners. Not being funny but your average halfords employee will be lucky if they managed to dress them selves

If you're concerned about rounding them off, use a little bit of valve grinding paste on the bolt head. Trust me.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Quote Originally Posted by andy pandy View Post
    Arp bolts just use standard sockets or spanners. Not being funny but your average halfords employee will be lucky if they managed to dress them selves
    Some are helpful, but i know what you mean
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    If you're concerned about rounding them off, use a little bit of valve grinding paste on the bolt head. Trust me.
    Fill gap to reduce slack and decrease slip, clever that ,thanks.
    Paul.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast