Indicators stopped flashing

I'm not good with electrics, hence this possibly stupid question. My indicators stopped flashing yesterday, although they remain on when I move the switch from left to right. The dash board warning light doesn't illuminate at all, the hazards do work. I've swopped the flasher unit, like for like and nothing has changed. I've physically checked the wiring for poor joints/loose wires and cleaned the earths. Any thoughts?

Is there a bulb out?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi,

If the hazards are working then that proves the majority of the circuits involved. Sounds like you may have lost the earth from the indicator switch. Suggest you check the connections on the steering column switches - look for a loose, missing or corroded earth connection.

Hope this helps,
    Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Sounds like your flasher relay is half dead (indicators on, but not flashing), your hazards are on a different relay - are you sure you swapped the flasher relay and not the 4 way relay?

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    T56 Gearbox
    3.54 LSD Diff
    AP Vented front brakes
    Outboard X308 Vented rear brakes

Hi guys,
    Thank you for the prompt suggestions to my plight. All the bulbs work and no corrosion in the sockets. The flasher unit is the old cylinder type (42w), suits two 21 watt bulbs per side. I've changed like for like. The hazard system works from a different relay. So far I've not found any loose connections on the column and I've cleaned the earth connection under the dashboard. I've gone under the car to check the connections there and cleaned them up as well. Tomorrow I'll take the switch cover off and have a look there.
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

Try checking pilot bulb. I have a feeling that you need a path to earth there, so a blown bulb would stop the flasher from working. Not sure.
    Cheers

Myles D-W