power steering failure

My Corsa B power steering , originally from Dax in 2005, has stopped working after the winter layup. There is power to the main ECU metal box and the small add-on controller but the steering remains resolutely lifeless. Does anyone know how to test these (and also the column). I am hoping its just one of these items which is faulty but which? Being of a delicate nature I don't think I can go back to no power assistance.

Tim

Why not give Jerry Shep a call?
    CHRIS C - SW REP - Maisie (DB No.46)
    Diplomat and expert on French Motoring Tribunals

Hi Tim,

Strange after a lay up and its been in the system so long to just fail. It could be the Corsa B load sensor and just fine adjustment to get it back working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXxf5iuwDY

It will not cost you any thing if its just requiring adjustment. They are robust and reliable. Check also if you have any wiring connections loose or corroded after a lay up.

Sounds like you have do all the basic checks like power to ECU . Again just check connections and plugs for loose or corrosion. The controller pot adjustment wiring can snag if you have it on the column so worth a check.

Not sure if you can jumper out the controller box with a loop plug to just check if the ECU or external controller is at fault .Someone might be able to comment further.

Have you got 12v to the motor itself? i.e. the heavy duty 30 amp supply? Could it be fused/corroded? Another possiblity is that the main ECU has relays inside, I believe - maybe a stuck relay? Give it a gentle tap?
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Thanks for your replies. Despite tapping, prodding, jiggling and shouting it still fails to respond so I will pull out the ECU and controller (I have a spare of each) and see if replacement works. If not, its the you-tube clip Jon found and then if not its Jerry, the back-stop option.
    Cheers
    Tim