Rover V8 oil switches.

Hi.
    I'm working on a friends Rover SD1 V8 powered Cobra and he has two sensors/switches on the oil pump case assembly. One is a single pole, the other a 3 pole. The 3 pole is leaking and needs to be replaced. What I need to know is what these two sensors are for. The single pole I guess is the oil pressure. But what is the three pole for.
    Neither of these are connected to anything, (don't ask!!) but it is my aim to get his car into a reasonable and very much more reliable condition and connect things up that should be connected. First job are the oil leaks and this is the first and more major one.
    Can anyone shed light as to see two sensors/switches?

Thanks,

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

I’m guessing one is the oil pressure warning light sensor and the other is a small can-shaped thing which could be the pressure gauge sender ?
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I think I have found the answer. The single pole one is for instrumentation. The three pole one is connected to the electric fuel pump so that in the event of low oil pressure, it cuts the electrical supply to the electric fuel pump and the engine stops in an attempt to save more damage to the engine.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I think I have found the answer. The single pole one is for instrumentation. The three pole one is connected to the electric fuel pump so that in the event of low oil pressure, it cuts the electrical supply to the electric fuel pump and the engine stops in an attempt to save more damage to the engine.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    I think you're on the right track. Have a look at this page on Rimmer Brother's site. The exploded diagram and individual parts descriptions will more than likely confirm what you have. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID800011
    There may also be an oil temperature sender in the vicinity too.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

I saw that but it wasn't conclusive. I found the answer on another website similar to this one.
    Seeing it's not going to be used I have ordered a blank for a couple of quid rather than the 30 quid I have found thus far.

David

There is 3-prong Lucas GPS123 on eBay for £30. About half the price of RTC5930 that Rimmers suggest is the current replacement version.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233189103598
    I have a blanking plug where that 3-prong switch would go. Just have to remember to look at the gauge every so often.

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I saw that but it wasn't conclusive. I found the answer on another website similar to this one.
    Seeing it's not going to be used I have ordered a blank for a couple of quid rather than the 30 quid I have found thus far.

David
    Just seen your post. Great, sounds like you'll get it sorted with a blanking plug.

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra