Thread: Heat!

Heat!

Getting close to firing up my Chevy 350 for first time.....
    It's fitted with DAX headers and side pipes which are a very close fit to almost everything - they are going to get very hot and so I'm wondering how to prevent melting/fire etc.....I've seen tape for wrapping the headers, but I dread to think how hot they'd get inside? Otherwise, it's stick on patches?

Wotcha Fink?

George from pembs

Hi. I have the same engine and ended up getting my headers camcoated. Made a big difference to heat in engine bay. Also put some heat proof boots on the plug ends.
    Cheers
    Pete

exhaust wrap or camcoating - only have experience with wrap and it makes a huge difference to underbonnet temps etc.

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Exhaust wrap for me! Just renewed after 20 years .

Cheers Clive
    On On

Just bear in mind when you wrap the headers the heat will transfer somewhere which will be to the unwrapped side pipes . Owner beware on exit if you do not have heat shields fitted. You will also get more blueing of the side-pipes.

Can someone tell me if it’s ok to wrap mild steel headers or is there a risk of cracking due to heat build up?
    Dek

Our mild steel headers have been wrapped for at least 10 years now (length of time we've had her) so probably considerably longer (built 2000). I re-wrapped them May last year as old stuff had disintegrated. Headers are fine, no signs of rusting or rotting etc.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I have ceramic coated headers and sidepipes with Acustafil.
    The engine bay is cooler and the sidepipes surprisingly run cooler too. Not what I expected to happen.
    Used these guys for the headers https://www.performance1coatings.com/
    Informative, prompt service and excellent quality.
    Last edited by Neil O; 17-04-19 at 09:00 AM.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Our mild steel headers have been wrapped for at least 10 years now (length of time we've had her) so probably considerably longer (built 2000). I re-wrapped them May last year as old stuff had disintegrated. Headers are fine, no signs of rusting or rotting etc.

rgds
    Gary
    Thanks for that Gary.
    Dek