Thread: Oil Dilema

Oil Dilema

Hi
    Doing an oil change on the Cobra before the summer season. I have always used Lucas Racing Only Semi Synthetic SAE 20w-50. I have struggled to get this but found some on Amazon. Anyway to cut a long story short they have sent me Lucas Racing Engine oil SAE 20W-50 New ZINC Tech which is neither semi or fully synthetic. My question is can I use this in my Ford 347 to replace the existing oil or do I have to go through the nausea of sending it back and finding a substitute? My old oil in the picture is on the right. The oil I have been sent is on the left.

Thanks

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

GD427 Mk4. Chassis No J0258

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

the consensus has always been 20w50 Mineral oil on these oldschool V8's. I've always used Valvoline VR1 20w50 until engine rebuild when builder changed it to Lucas 10w/40 (http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products/h...w-40-motor-oil)

I gather it depends a lot on rocker type you have installed i.e. flat tappet or hyd rollers etc - someone in the know will be along shortly to answer

Forgot to say it was always the Zinc level that determined the oil make to use, VR1/Millers/ etc have high(ish) Zinc contents that newer semi and fully synthetic oils

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/images/doc...orcycleOil.pdf

rgds
    Gary
    Last edited by nealgs; 17-04-19 at 01:51 PM.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

The Cob has roller rockers and a stroker kit.

Martin

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

Did you build yourself Martin or built for you - worth asking the build if the latter.

Mine is the same, albeit a chevy unit, hydraulic rollers and cam with stroker kit - always used 20w50 mineral prior to engine rebuild (new cam, lifters, springs, etc, etc) and builder changed to 10w40 mineral - bit of a bugger cos it's like rocking horse poo to get, lol.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Did you build yourself Martin or built for you - worth asking the build if the latter.

Mine is the same, albeit a chevy unit, hydraulic rollers and cam with stroker kit - always used 20w50 mineral prior to engine rebuild (new cam, lifters, springs, etc, etc) and builder changed to 10w40 mineral - bit of a bugger cos it's like rocking horse poo to get, lol.

rgds
    Gary
    Built it myself but three or four years ago. Took it to Kenny Coleman engineering for a Dyno and he put the Lucas racing oil in. Used it since ( two oil changes) but am open to options if I can use something that is easier to get hold of.

Martin

if it was Kenny who put it in, then stick with it Kennys choice