Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can anything be moved off the dash onto the car? For example, what are the units marked haz l, haz r and wip park?

Hi Aaron,

I would always run everything with loose tie-wraps as dry run and make sure every thing works first .Then look to cover the cables in a sleeving. This is great in the engine bay as well due to heat resistance sleeving and over time cable gets brittle with hardening near headers. On IVA they look for loose or non-insulated in the engine bay. I would be a little worried on how secure the wiring with the pad clips on the back of the wooden dash as our cars get a lot of moisture than most cars. You can get clips that unclip called rem clips and you can attach you cables in place then clip them in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-get-a-pass

The sleeving gives added protection against chaffing and vibration.

This is a nice video on cabling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Iu2FPt1Lg

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Can anything be moved off the dash onto the car? For example, what are the units marked haz l, haz r and wip park?
    Micro relays so that the rotary wiper switch works and the hazard circuit works with the toggle switches rather than the rocker switches - they could be moved, but there's not a lot of space up behind the dash on the car.. or at least, not a lot of space to actually attach anything! The scuttle hoop is basically crammed full of relays already..

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    I would always run everything with loose tie-wraps as dry run and make sure every thing works first .Then look to cover the cables in a sleeving. This is great in the engine bay as well due to heat resistance sleeving and over time cable gets brittle with hardening near headers. On IVA they look for loose or non-insulated in the engine bay. I would be a little worried on how secure the wiring with the pad clips on the back of the wooden dash as our cars get a lot of moisture than most cars. You can get clips that unclip called rem clips and you can attach you cables in place then clip them in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-get-a-pass

The sleeving gives added protection against chaffing and vibration.

This is a nice video on cabling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Iu2FPt1Lg
    Thanks Jon - everywhere else the wiring is in convoluted sleeving, but that adds a lot of bulk to an already massive amount of wiring, so much so that I don't think it would fit behind the dash anymore if everything were sleeved.. it could be sleeved in fabric sleeving, if I split all the connectors, though.

Rem clips sound interesting, but I can't seem to find them anywhere under that name; I don't suppose you have any suppliers?

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    To check the wiring swap the connector with one of the other gauges as they are just a straight plug in, just in case there is something in the circuit upsetting it. This is what I did.
    Will try that in case there's a short on the sense wire; though after power cycling it a few (dozen) times it now (usually) returns to zero when off at least - so I think perhaps the gauge was/is a little sticky.. will have to see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    Whats wrong with the dash ?
    My Dad "trimmed" it while we were away - there's two big creases in the vinyl he used, which makes everything look on the piss, plus it's not stuck down across the complete dash so it 'pillows' up where the dash bends, and he cut the holes in the vinyl the same size as the gauges rather than feeding the vinyl through the hole to be pinned by the gauge, so it keeps popping out so you can see the cut edge.. in other words, it looks like a dogs dinner It's only meant to be the 'IVA' dash, but I don't think the bottom edge radius is enough (5mm, as it's a non-rigid covering) anyway...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Ah, I see. Just another job to do then

Yup.. I'll add it to the to-do list..

My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Yup.. I'll add it to the to-do list..

Feckin hell, thats just like the wife's list that appears as soon as i mention, “going out in the cob”

Well get on with it then 😏

Ha ha,

Funny how the jobs list just pops up when you mention the word "cobra". No fault divorce law has now been approved so you cannot be blamed for neglect. haha

You could be accused of causing repetitive strain injury, for all the list's she has had to do!

Same here: loft extension to house the home office currently 6 - 18 months behind schedule (depending on how you do the sums).
    And then there is the small matter of window sills missing, skirting boards and a living room that needs a major overhaul. And the repairs needed to ceilings after the builders shipped out. .......And did i mention skirting boards?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Same here: loft extension to house the home office currently 6 - 18 months behind schedule (depending on how you do the sums).
    And then there is the small matter of window sills missing, skirting boards and a living room that needs a major overhaul. And the repairs needed to ceilings after the builders shipped out. .......And did i mention skirting boards?
    There's a 6" length of skirting missing in the extension here where the previous owners never quite finished that particular job.. I'll get around to it one day! Must be something about skirting boards...
    My DeDion build diary..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast