Thread: Brake light

Brake light

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for the brake light response on the cars. I heard reports about using the mechanical brake light switch and how unless you push the brake pedal hard they don't come on straight away. I've used a small electrical one that uses a spring to connect to the pedal and as you push the pedal this pull a pin which closes the circuit. This still doesn't work straight away. I'm just a bit worried about someone running into the back of me.
    Cheers
    Anthonu

Hi,
    Mines electrical switch on pedal and works straight away...? Guess that hydraulic should work straight away as well.
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Electric switch on mine . Brake lights come on with a light push on pedal.

Andy

If the brake lights don't come on straight away when using the hydraulic switch, then either the switch is faulty or there is air trapped in it and needs bleeding.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Hi Anthonu,

I concur with Clive. My set up is early Dax with VW Golf master cylinder and the pressure switch is at the top end . I have had a faulty switch replaced and once slow responding brake lights . My neighbor was behind me which was a bit of luck . The slow brake switch was due to my brakes needed bleeding. Lucky the pressure switches are easy to come by from a local motor factor and did cost much.

I have the same system as jon1d, I've just had a switch replaced and the brake lights work when they're meant to now. I also made a heat deflector to shield the heat from the exhaust down pipes.

Dan
    2006. Dave Brookes, Dax, De Dion Huddart 6.3, Tremec. Fiji Blue.