Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diff whine

Diff whine

Hello,
    Hope all enjoying weather!
    Have started to notice my diff whining when cruising, i know iknow, dont cruise then...
    It may whine on load but cant hear it as sidepipes loud.....
    Plan is to jack rear end up and check play, its a 3.54 PL derated diff from Russel with only 4k on it so surprised its starting to go noisy!
    Any other ideas i could do? Drop oil? Oil level was checked and ok from 1k ago but never changed as was ok..how often do you change yours?
    Want it to last at least until end of this summer....
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

I would suggest an oil change . I guess you used dif oil for PL ? There are lots of different PL dif oils out on the market. If its just whine and no clunk ( no play the oil change should reduce the whine) . I change about every three years ( I do very low mileage ) and used an additive for PL diff . Also check the oil for any metal bits on draining and hopefully all clear.

Cheers jon, yes used morris lubricants recommended diff oil.
    I need to jack rear up and check.
    Reg
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Years ago when I was an apprentice my boss overheard a similar conversation and he said wait till your married.....then you will know what whining is ....

Hi,
    Ok.
    After advise please.
    I jacked up rear.
    There is slight play both wheels at 12 / 6 oclock, although not major just a small amount which i think is normal?
    I dropped the diff oil and blackish but no real bits on magnetic drain plug just fine particles.
    I re greased input shaft ujs and the ones on the output shafts 2 per side.

It still sounds the same though

It mayyyy be that i am paranoid as only lately i have fitted side wings so the diff whine may have always been there but not heard it???
    It sounds from 55 ish to 70 ish..
    Any ideas or what is worst can happen?
    Reg
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

I had differential whine twice. Once in a RX7 and the other is a Subaru Brat. In both cases, the crown and pinion were worn, and in the case of the Subaru it wore through the gears case-hardening and once hit the softer metal, things went bad quickly. In that case, draining the differential oil revealed tiny shiny particles floating on the oil (and presumably through it). Both cars required a new crown and pinion.

I hope yours hasn't gone the way mine did. Oh! I just reread your last post and you only got metal particles on the magnetic drain plug? Nothing floating (or sunk) on/in the oil? Sounds hopeful. Fuzz on the magnetic drain plug is almost always there on boat motor lower units. Normal wear, so perhaps your differential is fine, just noisy.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Do you have roll bar hoops?

Try taking them off and listening again, sometimes, vibrating roll bars can be mistaken for a whining diff.

Hi,
    I filled them with foam already..
    I will run it for now.
    Thing is if another cobra owner listened to it they might say mines like that?
    Gonna give stoneleigh a miss though just in case..
    Thanks anyway.
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Gav,

The diff whine as you say might of been there and now you notice it. With no metal particles in the oil things are not bad. The diffs on the cobra are direct mount as as you have foam filled the roll bar that is always amplified. Depending on how much use and any long journeys planned I would not be to overly concerned and leave it as a winter job dropping the back end. Then getting the diff looked at for play.

The play in both wheels needs a look at as to much play could fail the MOT. A friend has just gone through this issue trying to resolve play. Before you start buying any parts get the back end up and a helper to move the wheel while your under the back end to see where the play is . He ended up replacing hub on exchange and the problem was U/J play which he is about to replace.

You will always have a little play at 12oclock and 6oclock. It is a build up of play in the two UJ's and in the Diff. Mine was very bad last year where I had about 4mm of play. New UJ's from Bailey Morris fitted and now just a fraction of movement which is to be expected. Beware where you get the UJ's from as there are loads out there from China which when fitted are ok but once you have done a hundred miles you are back to square one.
    I would not worry about your Diff whine and certainly go to Stoneleigh. It sounds about normal!
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast