Thread: ECM project

ECM project

Thinking of swapping out the Lexus ECM for something more updated. Any advice on a suitable alternative.

Al

My first thought would be....why? Unless you’re going to swap cams/move to forced induction/nitros etc etc then you’re unlikely to see any gains.

Next question would be self tune? If so then prepare for a steep learning curve, if not then best pick an ECU that your local tuner knows best!

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Al I’ve just done this on my AK.......not because I wanted the tuning aspect nor the £1800+ cost! I was having issues with temporary faults through certain circuits caused through brittle insulation and corrosion(engine temp, cold start injector etc) and eventually the ECU gave up the ghost

I could have sourced another 20+ year old ecu and put up with the odd repair on the loom, but then peace of mind and reliability issue kicks in and having had the issues already experienced, I made the decision to go down the new loom and ecu route.

Annoyingly I considered doing this when I started to build the car and like many of us decided to keep the costs as low as I could! At the time I found systems to suit in New Zealand and Australia and with shipping was approx the same as I have just paid Brands Hatch Performance.

I contacted them assuming from their web site that the Link storm was the one I needed at £2,500 and am I glad I did. Richard was the chap I spoke to and he asked what I would be using the car for? Are you going to race it....erm no, are you ever likely to take the engine to maximum engine revs in daily use......again, no, are you wanting complete control over every aspect of the engine......no I just want the feckin thing to run!!

He then said that the AtomII was the set up for me with the additional can lambda for addition tuning of fuel mixture etc. Total was just around the £2000 mark once I added the new idle control set up they have.......why not, everything else was going to be new!

Having now just fitted it all and setting the throttle position sensor, the engine starts....I admit not great at this stage and am in Portugal at the moment, but when I return, Richard at Brands Hatch Performance is going to link to my laptop via teamviewer and tune it remotely from his computer.......which I think that’s pretty cool and a great service.

The new loom no longer uses the igniters, the coils or dizzies because it uses the k20 Honda coil on plug direct spark set up. The huge cold start injector is also now redundant because the ecu has a three stage cold start mapped into it......oh and the ecu has a lifetime warranty! (go onto their web site and have a read.......then call Richard for a chat). All of the plugs fit straight onto the existing sensors and easy to wire in.

So far I can’t fault the product, or the customer service that I have had from these guys and see no reason why this will change.

The guys at BHP are really nice and easy to talk to. If the cost doesn’t phase you too much, then give them a call.

hope this helps.

Paul.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Al,

I can only echo and support Paul's post above. I was fortunate in that the 1UZ I bought came minus the ECU so I had no choice (choice is much overrated in my opinion!) but to go the aftermarket route.

I have nothing but praise for Brands Hatch Performance, their products, their service and their people. Talk to them, you will come away better informed if nothing else.

Paul,

I must be about a month or so behind you, my Link G4+ Storm package arrived in the middle of the Easter weekend. I too have had many informative talks with Richard and went the Storm route as the long term plan is to fit twin turbos.

My intention is still, as you mentioned, to retain as much of the Lexus engine as possible, partly for cost but also because it is so bloody good! I have replaced the IAC, as you have, because the original item uses too many of the ECU outputs compared to the replacement unit.

I am retaining the existing coils & cam driven distributors, rather than go the coil on plug route, partly because the HT wiring from the distributors to the plugs ios so neat (AND so I can retain the covers with their aggressive message!).

I went for the Innovate sensors with the AFR gauge to provide fuelling feedback rather than the CAN bus set up (no experience of CAN buses).

I am retaining as much of the original engine wiring loom as I can and intend to "join" it to the Link A & B looms from the ECU at some point. Still debating the "join" but currently favouring a plug/socket method mainly because I was gifted a box full of the AMP Superseal weather proof connectors. I am currently wading through the engine wiring loom to work out what connects to what - very interesting!

Couple of queries: Where have you positioned the Lambda sensors? and are you using the original AFM or using an alternative like a MAP sensor?

We will have to meet up and compare notes at some point!!

Best regards
    Ian

PS Al, apologies for hijacking the thread!!
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Hi Ian,

I have still retained the original look of the engine, including the spark plug covers....you just need to dremel the back of them where the coils are and hey presto, still look original.

I have no intention of a twin turbo upgrade at the moment........but never say never!

I had the lambda’s fitted into the body side of the side pipes just after the four branch collector reduces to one and then into the side pipe. The Atom however does not use the lambda’s to constantly trim and therefore have the lambda can bus system to tune as and when necessary. It’s a simple wiring loom that plugs into an outlet from the ecu and you can trim either side individually (by swapping the lambda over from side to side) or simply tune the fuel air ratio using one side after pre determining the side that’s running the richest.

the original AFM has been replaced by an air temp sensor, again recommended by Richard.

Richard assures me that the new ecu will produce more power and be more fuel efficient than the original ecu fingers crossed that’s true

The loom on my soarer had been hacked about by mr diy at some point and not insulated properly at some point, hence the corrosion issues, plus the brittle insulation so was forced really into the complete package.

cheers.

Paul.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Thanks for the response lads, I'll do some background work.

Regards