Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Rack

Boot Rack

Hi All,

I plan to fit a boot rack to my AK. Semi permanent, not the clamp on variety. I have already discounted a boot bag!

I have researched this online and on here and understand from reading every thread on these going back years that I will get a chorus of "That's Gay!" "Leave the wife at home" "Why not fit a towbar and tow a caravan" or "Tell her to pack less shoes" comments!!

However I am going to fit one - it suits the older look of my AK, styled more as an older English looking Mk 3 AC289 with wire wheels etc. Will mean I can use it to go to cricket (as my son's and my bag wont fit in the boot!) and will also mean Mrs W and her shoes can accompany me to Europe with side screens, roof and room for a visit to the wine shop in Calais on the way home.......all essential after being caught in the worst rain last time and arriving home with inches of water in the footwells.

I appreciate that the rear view will be restricted.

The reason for the post is my limited technical knowledge of the relative strength of GRP - I plan to fit as this chap has done on his Hawk 289 (using the same rack) - bolting through the boot lid using ferrules and domed nuts.

http://www.the289register.com/member...Issue%2016.htm - need to scroll down.....

I am unsure whether the lid will be strong enough as is with suitable load spreading washers or whether I should strengthen the bootlid with additional fibre glassing or add some plywood to the underside or something else?

Any opinions welcome (but take as read that I know its gay etc!!!!!)

Many thanks in advance
    Andrew
    AK Gen1 - Ford 351W - Dream come true

Why not ask AK as to the strength if anyone knows I'm sure they do.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Ignore the critics if they come. I tow a Caravan and have a Bootrack that I have a large suitcase on (with the wires stuff) It will take the weight
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Thanks Martin - I will call AK. I always feel bad calling as I have called/emailed a few times for advice since I bought the car and they have been so helpful but I have not actually spent any money with them yet!

Cheers Ken - as a matter of interest is your rack bolted through the lid or the type that uses hooks/clamps to the sides?

Andrew

Its got hooks with rubber protectors
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Perfect - thanks

I did buy and fit the rack in the end - it didnt restrict rear view too much with a nice suitcase from motoring classics added and freed up a lot of boot space. I appreciate its not for everyone but I am very happy!

Suitcase - https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/b...ather-suitcase

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

Andrew

i asked AK at stoneleigh this year about strength of boot you just have to have two boot stay`s boot lid strong enough, Pete

Actually I think it fits really nicely with the overall aesthetic of your car, Andrew; the car looks and feels like a road car (underslung exhausts, bumpers etc) and a road car would be used for touring etc etc.. anyway, I quite like it
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Actually I think it fits really nicely with the overall aesthetic of your car, Andrew; the car looks and feels like a road car (underslung exhausts, bumpers etc) and a road car would be used for touring etc etc.. anyway, I quite like it
    I agree. Looks great for a grand-tourer style Cobra.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast