Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dax mk3: What is this steering rack?

I need some expert knowledge for this. I've removed my old steering rack from my car, it is exactly the same as the one in these pics. I hope the original poster won't mind me borrowing them.
    I need to know what is is. I believe it's a modified casting, but contrary to popular belief - this is NOT a Dolomite rack.
    So - does anyone know what the hell it is/was? Please enlighten me!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

As suggested the earlier ones had a Dolomite rack and the later ones had a bespoke rack made for DAX.
    I tried for ages trying to find an alternative many early Ford ones are similar but not quite there.
    I ended up have to get a new a new one from Dax.
    Can't you get yours refurbed anywhere?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

The column might be Dolomite but the rack is a Dax part supplied modified cut down rack pre 1985.. http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/archi...p/t-51969.html

The one after 1985 was an old Hillman model, with modified innards made for Dax supplied by Quinton Hazell. Quinton Hazell was bought by Klarius Products but they would want part numbers to stand any hope.

I think your best options are to refurb or replace. The refurb route might be the easiest and most cost effective solution as its just a bolt back in job. A good steering rack machine shop should be able to adjust and replace any parts.

I am sure people have used one and might be able to recommend one.

If you’re just after a refurb then I’d try Kiley Clinton, they did my early GD rack which was a “bitsa” triumph job.

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Thanks for the info guys - I don't need the rack, I just want to know what it is in case I need anything for it before I put it up for grabs. All I know is that I removed it from my Mk3 and it's only covered 800 miles. Solid gold treasure for someone in need of a Mk3 rack, I expect.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    If you’re just after a refurb then I’d try Kiley Clinton, they did my early GD rack which was a “bitsa” triumph job.

Rgds

Jim
    I need to get one of my racks (on my second one!) reconditioned.

How much do they charge? I have play in the inner tie rod on the passenger side. Strange that it's exactly the same problem on the other rack too. Wonder if it's always the same side that goes?

I thought about taking them both apart and making one good one out of them both but thought I'd weigh up a price for reconditioning first. May get both done so I have a spare.

Kiley Clinton are a bit of a trek but if they're good and reasonable I don't mind the drive. Looked at Steering Services in West Byfleet too who are more local but don't know anything about them.

I'm based in Essex. Anyone have any suggestions in the South?

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

I have my rack in bits at the moment. I had play in the inner end of the track rod as well.

When you take the gaiter off you will find a backing nut up against the ball end fitting which is drilled and dowelled to the rack. Once I drilled out the dowel it became obvious what the issue is. The ball end is supported by a plastic cup with a spring behind it. The plastic part had broken into many parts. I have tried to source an alternative track rod to replace the whole assembly but this is impossible. Why you ask?
    The thread on the rack for the track rod is unique. When Dax’s Supplier modified the unit they just cut a thread at the diameter of the existing rack diameter. The nut on the track rod is bespoke to the unique thread.
    I ended up glueing all of the plastic bits back together to create a model to measure for a replacement.
    I am now getting a machinist to make me a replacement in phosphorous bronze material.
    The Dax replacement rack being offered means additional modification to my Mk 4 chassis and probably would end up at £1k with the price of the rack.
    Will let you know how it turns out.

Neil
    I should be called "Nearly There" But I was drunk when I joined this club!

Cool

Hi Neil,

Is yours the passenger side as well?

Is the dowel between the nut and ball end like the one in the middle pic in this link?...

http://race.fawcettengineering.com/7rack.html

It's from a Lotus Seven S4

I've not got as far as taking the ball end off yet as waiting for a removal tool to make life a little easier.

I'll have a closer look later. I thought it looked like a little weld on the nut to stop rotation. Didn't even think it could be a dowel!

Who in their right mind would use a unique thread! Sure we can work this out between us

Sean
    Last edited by GUMBALL; 29-04-19 at 06:44 AM.

Actually, does anyone know if the new Quaife rack is a straight swap on the Mk4 IRS chassis?

I know the manual fuel pump needs swapping for electric (I have a spare already) and assume the lower column extension needs replacing too as it appears to be longer?

Does it bolt straight up to the chassis? Mounts look the same.

Sean

PS sorry for the thread hijack Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by GUMBALL View Post
    Hi Neil,

Is yours the passenger side as well?

Is the dowel between the nut and ball end like the one in the middle pic in this link?...

http://race.fawcettengineering.com/7rack.html

It's from a Lotus Seven S4

I've not got as far as taking the ball end off yet as waiting for a removal tool to make life a little easier.

I'll have a closer look later. I thought it looked like a little weld on the nut to stop rotation. Didn't even think it could be a dowel!

Who in their right mind would use a unique thread! Sure we can work this out between us

Sean
    Hi Neil,

Well, got it apart now and can see the plastic part has broken into six pieces!

Hopefully I can make one good rack out of my two bad racks.

These plastic parts must have come from somewhere. Unlikely they were specially made. Have thought about getting some 3D printed so I can have some spares. It's bound to happen again!

Many thanks

Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast