Lexus 1UZ - Cold Start Injector

All,

The rebuild of the 1UZ is progressing and I am getting near the point of reconfiguring the wiring ready to link it to the Link ECU (in answer to your question (on another thread) Paul, I got the un-terminated A & B looms when I bought the ECU as I wanted to keep as much of the original engines as possible). I was intending to keep the cold start injector, purely to retain as much of the original wonderful engine as possible but I am now having second thoughts.

My, as yet limited, understanding of the Link ECU is that it can be configured to give cold start enhancement through the normal injectors so the Toyota cold start injector would not be required - and, if retained, would require a specific ECU output to drive it. My latest addition to the wish list is to have a permanent way to monitor the fuel pressure and was thinking of fitting a fuel pressure sender into the tapping on the fuel rail which would normally feed the cold start injector. The fuel pressure sender could either be linked to a dashboard gauge or linked into the ECU - assuming I could calibrate the sender within the Link software.

Has anyone done this, or something similar

Regards,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Hi Ian,

Not done as you are suggesting but you are correct about the ecu using the normal injectors for cold start enhancement. I believe it is a three stage cold start enhancement.

Paul.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

Paul,

I am happy with the cold start enhancement provided by the Link ECU, still wading through the help files trying to make a list of what I need to know - basically everything!!

I have exchanged emails with Richard and yes the output from a suitable fuel pressure sender can be calibrated in the Link ECU software to enable monitoring of the fuel pressure.

Thanks for the response,
    Ian

Were your ears burning Ian? I was talking to Richard at BHP this morning and your name came up in conversation. Interesting that you are not using the standard vacuum regulator on the fuel rail as Richard thinks that this may be faulty on my engine, so what are you planning using instead?

Try calling Nev Payne at F1 Moto to see if he has any spares for the 1UZ....such as the throttle body. He has helped me in the past with a few bits that he had going spare. 01474 850850 or sales@f1moto.co.uk
    Failing this take the throttle body to someone who can weld ally!

Paul.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.

Paul,

They were - but I thought it was the sun!

I think there must be some confusion, I am making no changes to the standard pressure regulator but I am adding a sender into the fuel rail to enable the ECU to monitor the fuel pressure. On that subject I have further queries!

The manual I am using relates to the 1UZ-FE as fitted to the LS400 but my engine is from the Soarer and there are some differences. The manual refers to the Vacuum Selector Valve (VSV) for the fuel pressure regulator. On my engine there is no VSV, the vacuum from the inlet chamber is routed directly to the fuel pressure regulator.

The manual also refers to the Exhaust Gar Recirculation (EGR), on the left hand side of the inlet chamber - again not fitted to my engine. And finally I do have what I believe is the Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) fitted, this consists of a VSV fitted at the left hand rear of the odd cylinder head connected to a vacuum hose from the rear of the inlet chamber and another which presumably connected to the charcoal canister.

I am planning to ditch the EVAP and blank the vacuum ports that were used, I presume that there are no unforeseen (by me) consequences to this?

I have decided to fabricate a new bracket for the throttle body (see other thread for details).

How are you getting on with your project, is it fired up yet?

Regards,
    Ian

Ian,

My engine is also from a Soarer and was exactly the same as you describe. The only thing on the left hand side of my engine is the breather pipe that goes into the plenum.

The car is up and running but not properly yet! Richard from BHP was connected remotely to the car yesterday morning but we had and issue getting the lambda to pre heat above 400 degrees which needed to get to 700 degress to enable proper tuning.....white mans magic to me! There is a fix and requires me to insert a capacitor between the red and black wires on my cam lambda bus. He will then re try once this is done.

Do you have a link to the sender that you are using to monitor your fuel pressure?

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    . . . .Do you have a link to the sender that you are using to monitor your fuel pressure? . . . l.

Paul,

So yours did not have the EVAP VSV on the rear left hand side of the inlet chamber - fascinating how there are so many variations and permutations! The good thing though is that we chose the engine for its core and were going to ditch the rest anyway.

Richard actually recommended the sender, a 150psi high precision pressure sensor that they sell on their website, link below. The sensor, in common with most pressure sensors, has a 1/8" NPT male thread whereas the fitment hole for the cold start injector is an M8 1.0mm (fine) thread. The only adapter, with an M8 fine male to 1/8" NPT female, that I could find was from the USA. The adapter is in transit, I will confirm that it fits and then let you know.

Regards,
    Ian

Pressure Sensor