Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ignition lead heat protection on AK with Chevy 350

Hi,
    I've just had an ignition lead burn through on my AK. I've got a chevy 350 and AK headers. On the drivers side a number of the ignition leads are very close to the headers so I fitted some heat protection boots. The boots were touching the headers in places which I didn't think would be a problem. As you can see from the pic, the lead has burnt through.
    Has anyone got any suggestions for better hear protection. My headers are camcoated to try and reduce the heat a bit.

Cheers

Pete
    IMG_1591a.jpg
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

In just have heat wrap around my headers and that works perfectly.
    It just does....

Hi Pete, I run my plug leads below the headers rather than dropping down in between. I’ve got same heat boots and some are definitely touching headers. No problem thus far but think i’ll be checking them out this weekend.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Hi Steve
    Could you post a pic of how yours are run?
    Cheers Pete

B999C895-79DC-4D20-9AB9-8008AD1D2595.jpeg

Hi Pete, old photo here, will try and get a clearer one.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Pete,

What boots did you use?
    I was planning to use something like these which clearly state that they can touch exhaust headers...

http://www.textiletechnologies.co.uk...insulator.html

Hi Mike
    I used similar boots. Mine were made by DEI. They’re no good if they touch the header. They transfer the heat to the cable which then burns. I’m working on better cable routing using a vertical wire loom holder now.
    Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterj1974 View Post
    Hi,
    I've just had an ignition lead burn through on my AK. I've got a chevy 350 and AK headers. On the drivers side a number of the ignition leads are very close to the headers so I fitted some heat protection boots. The boots were touching the headers in places which I didn't think would be a problem. As you can see from the pic, the lead has burnt through.
    Has anyone got any suggestions for better hear protection. My headers are camcoated to try and reduce the heat a bit.

Cheers

Pete
    IMG_1591a.jpg
    I also have exactly the same setup as you Pete, where my leads run horizontally over the manifold and have all slowly been fried, and two of which were so brittle ,they had actually cracked clean through down by the plug boot , which was not obvious by just looking ,and I only discovered this once I removed them all. I am hoping that once I have fitted my new high temp performance leads (currently being made), as recommended by “Conrod” , this will cure my miss fire and hesitation issue . Fingers crossed

I had thought of running the new leads vertically up in between the manifold and up and over the rocker cover, but there wasn’t enough clearance for the protective socks to work properly without touching the manifold and burning. So while I am at it, I am going to run my new leads inside some high temp protective sleeve, only where the leads are exposed to heat, and decided to not only route my new leads down and along ,a bit like Steve has done ,except the two leads furthest away from the dizzy will route under the manifold , forward towards the radiator ,so they don’t run past the centre manifold down pipes ,then curl up and run up along the top of the rocker cover, held in place with some homemade SS brackets , secured by the rocker cover bolts .

During the summer and time allowing, I am going to remove the manifolds and wrap them in genuine DEI titanium exhaust wrap, again as recommended by “Conrod”.

I know this all seems a bit belt and braces, but I have measured how much engine bay heat builds up, which is phenomenal with these huge engines, especially while stuck in traffic jams on hot days ,and these measures will all help towards better running and reliability and if a job is worth doing right
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    I know this all seems a bit belt and braces, but I have measured how much engine bay heat builds up, which is phenomenal with these huge engines, especially while stuck in traffic jams on hot days ,and these measures will all help towards better running and reliability and if a job is worth doing right
    Wait until you see my "megabelt and megabraces" solution! Wrapped headers, plus fan assisted cold air intake directly to the air cleaner, and fan assisted hot air removal through the side vents. I've promised Graham a write-up for Snake Torque when it's all complete!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

I went with these after a lead birnt through

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Shield...gateway&sr=8-4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast