Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rover V8 First Start

https://youtu.be/TmmONxgf_I0

Well after two plus years of rebuilding a Rover V8 and the rolling chassis of my Pilgrim Cobra today was the day I have nervously anticipated for sometime. I had a few teething problems but once I sorted the timing the engine ran reasonably well. I have only run the engine for short bursts as after only a about 30 seconds smoke/steam rises from the headers at an alarming rate. Please see my youtube video.

The headers are Pilgrim headers from I assume steel. I painted them with high temperature engine/manifold paint and they are covered with heat wrap. The paint still looks fine. It is making me very nervous that they will burst into flames. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Granada based Pilgrim Sumo with RV8 - May 2017
    YouTube Build diary:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJnGMrv_CkERYzoG68enTGg

Headers/exhaust manifolds usually smoke on first start. Change a engine on a tin top and watch everything smoke🙂

Andy

How long does it take for them to stop smoking and how bad should I let it get before shutting down the engine?

I have found it very unnerving as I have only managed to run the engine for short 30 second intervals about 3 or 4 times before I shut it off as I was convinced something was going to burst into flames.

Thank you
    James
    YouTube Build diary:

James,

Congratulations, major milestone achieved!! Well done!

As Andy has said, it did not look anything to get too concerned about. Have you checked your timing? You may remember my headers glowed red hot on first start up because the timing was retarded. However you engine seemed to idle quite smoothly so i would not have thought that the timing could be too far out.

Why was there not a big crowd for such a big moment? I suspect a lack of confidence might have been the cause?

Congratulation again, IVA booked?

Regards,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

James,

The engine sounded fine, definitely worth confirming that the timing is right then I would let the engine run till it gets up to temperature and the fans kick in. The smoke from the headers, especially when wrapped is to be expected. Keep and eye on the temperature & oil pressure and let it run.

Just a thought, did you put a new cam in? If so you need to run it for a least 20 minutes with frequent speed increases up to 2,500 rpm to bed in the cam shaft.

Hope this helps!

Ian

PS I assume you do have a fire extinguisher to hand (just in case!)?
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Thanks Ian, Yes I have a new cam and was prepared to run as described but kept bottling it after only a matter of seconds. Definitely double check the timing again then pluck up the courage to let it run.

I have heard and seen that the wrapping on headers smoke for a while so it's probably ok. But you must do the can break in as just doing short bursts is not a good idea. Well done on the engine build remember well the first time I started mine. Good luck

Get a mate with a fire extinguisher if you are nervous.
    I covered my old Pilgrim headers in VHT, and there was a bit of smoke as they baked hard, and that was after I had put them in the oven and baked them at 250 for 1/2 hour before fitting.
    Depending on the time of day/weather there maybe some condensation in the wrapping as well.

You will have to summon the courage and just go for it on the cam break in, otherwise you will have a big bill and an engine strip down on your hands.

Headers made from mild steel can't burst into flames - the worst that can happen is you burn the paint off, and as that's the same thickness as a hair, so there isn't that much to burn. You might have an exhaust leak as well, but it didn't sound like it. Nothing to worry about it I think that should stop the cam break in.

If your fuel lines are tight and there are no leaks, you should not need to worry.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The smoke shouldn't last too long . Just keep a check for leaks etc. Well done but you must run the cam in.

Andy

Ok guys so tonight was the big moment to run the car for at least 20 mins to run in the cam.

It started reasonably well the headers smoked far more than I was expecting and I will admit I was very nervous for 5 mins or so but then they all cleared and all appeared to be going well. The water temp rose and just around 90deg the fan kicked in and kept the temp at around 90deg. Now I could see through the smoke I decided to check the timing and found I had about 10 degrees after TDC. I had previously been advised that I should be looking for about 10 deg before TDC so this probably explains the heat in the headers and why my nice silver exhausts have turned a nice gold colour near the headers. I decided to try and adjust the timing by turning the distributor; however whilst I was in the process of doing this coolant blew out of the expansion tank and for some reason set the headers on fire (momentarily) and it all ended there. See the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFlhtrDi10
    YouTube Build diary:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast