Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What got you hooked on Cobras ?

Having just seen some of the comments on the "Leaving New York" thread which drifted towards a discussion on what got us started on the road to Cobras, I thought it worth starting a separate thread.

So, What got you started ?

Mine was seeing a kit in the shed at Stoneleigh in the early 80's. i just fell in love with the shape and told myself I'd own one. My dad then offered to buy me one (not that he could afford it, nor either of us knew how to put it together) if I got first class degree - I fell some way short on that too, so I saved my pennies and bought a Brightwheel Viper in 1996 that needed "a little work to put it back on the road."

Last I hear of that car, it was still on the road, somewhat improved though.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I'll be the first to say it "A Car Is Born" Mark Evans watched it as a kid and decided one day I was going to build one. Didn't realize once you deviate from the manual, improve or modify how much extra time is required!😣

Saw Gumball Rally in the cinema while on holiday in Wales when I was about 10.....
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

A local garage used to sell Scamp kits. I got the brochure when I was 17 and dreamt of building my own car. My mother scoffed at me and said ‘you’ll never do that, you don’t know what you’re doing’. Maybe that put a worm in my head? Fast forward about 20 years and I am at the Earl’s Court Motor Show when I see this motley collection of odd unusual looking cars: Ultima, NG, Hawk on the (now defunct) ASCM stand. I didn’t even like ‘cars’ then (had a motorbike), and thought Top Gear was for ‘taches, Car Geeks and associated twatters. The idea of building the car you wanted the way you wanted it….something went ping. Trips to find Kit Car mags, and a trip to the Exeter Show in 1996 sealed it: saw my first Cobra driving towards us as we entered the car park. I had never seen a car like it, felt like a kid at Christmas. That was it, the die was set.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

" A Car is Born " got me off bikes and into Cobra's. Nearly 20 years later, still involved !!

I had always wanted to build a kit car but life in the Army meant that was never going to happen, I left in 1999 and bought a double garage with house attached, at that stage my hit list was the Nostalgia XK120, Caterfields, NG TC, Speedster - after a couple of show visits to Stoneleigh and Exeter I realised all I really wanted was a V8 in a great chassis....GD was the answer, the body shape was a bit of a by product! I’d still like a speedster (or more accurately my wife would!) but the only other thing niggling me is a mid engine chassis with a V8 in it (oh, something like a T70 then!).

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Mark Evans and Pete Mate, A Car, bike, chopper, plane, 4x4 and Jag reborn (did I miss any)?

Also the girlfriend (now the wife), would happily let me drag her round the Kit Car shows, Exeter, Chatham, Detling etc looking mainly at the NG TC V8 (so long as we could go shopping "afterwards"). That was the one I wanted! Bought the build manual and collected every scrap of info' I could find. The girlfriend didn't like it. "It's not practical" she said at one of the shows "but you can have one of those" pointing at a Cobra. "How is a Cobra practical and the NG not?" came the Quizzical reply. "It has a boot!"

The one and only time I have said "yes dear" and smiled all the way home.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Great story.
    I remember hearing the news that 'Pete Mate' had died a few years a go, made me feel quite sad.
    Even when I was building the Sumo, I played the CisB VHS tapes so many times dreaming of finally being able to drive the thing.
    There was also the Land Rover, MG and Caterham projects he did as well.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil O View Post
    Saw Gumball Rally in the cinema while on holiday in Wales when I was about 10.....
    Same here, seen Gumball Rally when I was 10 years old and it was love at first sight.

Driving home from Skindles night club, I overtook.the owner Luis Brown in his cobra hooked from then on. Late 1970's!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast