Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rover v8 first start

Taking inspiration from others

https://youtu.be/UeNbkwq2J-Y

I’ve an issue with my gauges not reading, suspecting an Earth issue as several gauages have no responses including temp and oil which means I don’t want to start her again until sorted.

Little video of first start, also some smoking from manifolds like our other member had me pretty worried!

Also need to time it up, the marks on pulley are too faded even with a little sand they are barely visible.

I’ll have to manually add measurements!

She’s set at 6BTDC I think it’s right to aim for 9-14? Depending on on she idles.

Also, carb setup you do post this right? Or do the two affect each other?

Maybe try going over the timing marks with a white paint pen then skimming off any excess with the sandpaper? Should make them more visible.

I sprayed mine back first then used a paint pen, finally spraying over the whole thing with a clear coat.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/uni-bal...er/606589-1000

I would probably try skinnymatthew's method if i was doing it again. However if you just need to put some lines on for now the pens do work well.

Look forward to following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DubblyDub View Post
    Taking inspiration from others

Also need to time it up, the marks on pulley are too faded even with a little sand they are barely visible.

I’ll have to manually add measurements!

She’s set at 6BTDC I think it’s right to aim for 9-14? Depending on on she idles.

Also, carb setup you do post this right? Or do the two affect each other?
    If you can find some Tipex then this is ideal for marking TDC on the harmonic balancer. Also put a bit on the edge of the indicator tab. If you have a dial-back strobe light then that's all you need to set the timing. If you don't have a dial-back type then I have made up a paper scale (-10 to +40 BTDC) in the past and stuck that to the balancer.

I ran my RV8 engine at 13 BTDC quite happily for years on 95 RON fuel. I've recently put a vacuum gauge on the manifold port whilst setting the timing and have now pushed it up to 16 BTDC. Looks like you have the original Rover fitted distributor. I believe they add a lot of extra advance from the vacuum advance can. You may need to reduce your static timing to compensate. I'm running a Mallory distributor which has adjustable vacuum advance.

You can play with your carbs next. Sounds to be running nicely on your video so I'm guessing the overall set up is not too far out.

Russ
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

It’s a powerspark dizzy from V8 Developments.

I had actually marked TDC with tipex and tried wiping over the marks to see but it’s not clear. That’s fine though, I’ll put a coat over the pulley and mark with a pen!

Glad to hear you think it sounds alright!

I’ve to sort my gauges before I try her again! Nervous the oil pump might need priming. Rockers looked a bit dry! Does the spinning down the dizzy prime without the need to pack the pump do you know?

I’ll keep you updated

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9KmUDvgmuhiD9zsF6

If the oil pump was new so no oil ever been in it, then it will not prime without packing it with vaseline or whatever. Don't start the engine again till you have confirmed this as the only lubricant that is actually lubricating your engine is the build lubricant. A lot of people remove the distributor and make a tool to fit on the oil pump drive and prime it all with a drill via the tool they make.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by DubblyDub View Post
    It’s a powerspark dizzy from V8 Developments.

INervous the oil pump might need priming. Rockers looked a bit dry! Does the spinning down the dizzy prime without the need to pack the pump do you know?

I’ll keep you updated

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9KmUDvgmuhiD9zsF6
    I would definitely make sure you have oil pressure, even if it means rigging up a temporary gauge, I've always had to prime the pump after stripping the engine and also when I just had the engine empty for a few months. Never had much joy spinning the pump with a drill, always had to pack the pump with Vaseline.

I made a tool and spun the pump with a drill. It took about 20 seconds and then the drill noticeably dropped speed and laboured. As soon as that happened I was seeing lovely oil pressure on the gauge.

same here - when I had my RV8 always packed with vaseline and then used an adaptor on a drill (bought from RPI I think) and spun it up, no problem.
    Its a bit messy, but the oil pump priming is a really easy job.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I made a tool and spun the pump with a drill. It took about 20 seconds and then the drill noticeably dropped speed and laboured. As soon as that happened I was seeing lovely oil pressure on the gauge.
    Lucky. I've never had that work without packing the pump. I have a remote filter on mine possibly that makes things different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast