Sumo handbrake replacement

Hi, one of the mods I’d like to try and do from the start is to move the handbrake to the side of the transmission tunnel. I’ve searched on the website and online at different options but can’t seem to find a definitive solution. Ideally I’d use a chrome side mounted lever like those found on the MG Midgets but my query’s are:

- How do you make the cabling work through the tunnel which I assume would then have to run from a central position and then kink over to the side of the tunnel to connect to the lever?

- Are these type of levers IVA compatible?

- I assume I would need a warning light so older versions like the Midget probably won’t have this function?

I’d be most appreciative of any tips/comments as to whether or not this is a feasible mod?

Thanks.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

Just bought mine from these guys https://www.triggerhandbrakes.com/Handbrakes.html .

Yes, I checked these out, they look great but assume these are still top tunnel mounted? I would really like to have mine side mounted?

https://www.triggerhandbrakes.com/Clubman.html is designed to be side-mounted
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Excellent, how do you get round the fact the Pilgrim cable has a bracket which is designed to attach to a central (top mounted) lever rather than top for to one side? This looks like it wouldn’t pass IVA so assume it would be added after?

I think I have a spare handbrake you can have for a tenner to play with if you want.
    You can easily add the handbrake/brake fluid level switch function using a switch (look on-line) and a bracket made from an offcut off ali L-shaped angle from B&Q .
    As for the cabling bit, you might need to add an extra roller and extend one side perhaps?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks Kevin, very kind. What kind of handbrake do you have? I have a Sierra one arriving in a couple of weeks with the pilgrim module which could be surplus if I go down this route. Excuse my ignorance but by roller do you mean one of those discs that the cable runs around to change direction? I’ve found a chap that does the nice chrome midget handbrake levers with a switch, just not sure whether it would pass the IVA test.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Thanks Kevin, very kind. What kind of handbrake do you have? I have a Sierra one arriving in a couple of weeks with the pilgrim module which could be surplus if I go down this route. Excuse my ignorance but by roller do you mean one of those discs that the cable runs around to change direction? I’ve found a chap that does the nice chrome midget handbrake levers with a switch, just not sure whether it would pass the IVA test.
    re:roller - yes exactly.
    if I can find some time to get in the garage this w/e I'll dig out what I have and take a pic - I think it was off an MG.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Any joy Kevin?

With regard to IVA compatibility, best thing to do is to download/print a copy of the manual from VOSA - it's around 300 pages long, but well worth it. With regard to handbrake warning light, don't think you need one as it's often shared with the brake system fault light, which you do need. My Mk2 doesn't have a handbrake light and it didn't not pass the IVA (I won't say 'fail') on this.

Phil