Adjustable steering wheel?

I am a new owner of a GD Mk3, registered 2001, with a Jag XJ6 base. The steering wheel is at a difficult angle for my knees and an adjustment of between 5 and 10 degrees would make driving so much more comfortable. I could potentially change the angle of the steering column but that would mean cutting a bigger hole in the bulkhead which I would prefer not to do.

Is there anything like an adjustable fitting for a steering wheel to allow a tilt?

Many thanks for any advice

Martin

Hi Martin.

If it's a knee room issue, an alternative approach would be to fit a Corsa EPAS column and a smaller steering wheel. I did that to my Dax last year, and if you're going to The Ely tomorrow you can take a look at it. Our friendly forum moderator (Happy Jim) fitted a Corsa C column to his GD a while ago - he's one of us local lads and he may possibly be at the Ely tomorrow as well.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Would this tilt column be of interest
    Aston Martin DB7.....based on Jaguar XJS
    Now idea what your Jag column looks like perhaps you can tell
    after looking at the photo

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Hi Martin.

If it's a knee room issue, an alternative approach would be to fit a Corsa EPAS column and a smaller steering wheel. I did that to my Dax last year, and if you're going to The Ely tomorrow you can take a look at it. Our friendly forum moderator (Happy Jim) fitted a Corsa C column to his GD a while ago - he's one of us local lads and he may possibly be at the Ely tomorrow as well.
    I thought Happy Jim decided against the Corsa C and put in a Corsa B? http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55509
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Jim has a Corsa C column. I was originally going to use a C too but, as Dax supply a ready made bracket and installation kit for the B, I switched to that one.

As Jim says, it's one of the best upgrades you can do, especially if like me you like throwing your car round hairpin bends across Europe on an annual basis!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Hi Alan,

I was not able to get to The Ely as we are trying to get an airbnb up and running and have a lot of work to do before next weekend. I will certainly be at the Thames Valley meet in a couple of weeks so look forward to seeing your Dax and to get advice from others on a whole range of matters as well.....I am starting from a pretty low practical technical knowledge level

Martin

Hi Martin.

Thanks for sending this through.....I will have to get some technical input as to whether that would be a viable solution. I will have a chat with Alan when I see him at The Swan on the 16th when he can see my problem.

Jim has a Corsa C column. I was originally going to use a C too but, as Dax supply a ready made bracket and installation kit for the B, I switched to that one.

As Jim says, it's one of the best upgrades you can do, especially if like me you like throwing your car round hairpin bends across Europe on an annual basis!
    Doh! Having a senior moment and confused happy Jim commenting on a thread with him starting it...
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Helloooo,

Mart, your only sane option is a smaller steering wheel - in which case you will either need to work out a bit more or fit PAS - I’ll get my arse in gear and see you at the Swan on the 16th, you can have a sit in mine and see if it works for you (GD Mk3 as well).

As Alan said, PAS really is the dogs danglies!

Rgds

Jim

PS - Corsa C
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M