Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which cobra: Advice, opinions and emotions welcome! ;)

Hi all...

I am after current advice/thinking on buying a used cobra replica.

I have had a read of advice from a few forums, and while I think I am building up an idea of a few points (GD potentially better handling/technically, Dax a bit more bling, AK blend of both, pilgrim more budget). I am sure I will stir emotions with that summary - bit it is my perception from what I have read and researched so far. Views!?

From this I am focusing in on AK, maybe Dax due mainly to looks. Spec etc obviously is very wide and personal preference, but what I cannot get my head round is how to buy a car...

I am not tech minded. I am not a tinker. I want to enjoy the car and use it Vs just polish it (1500-3000 miles a year).

How do I choose? Even looking at sovereign cars, total headturner's, auto trader, PH etc it seems such a wide choice and (from face value), inconsistent pricing trying to account for reputable builders, mileage, registration etc.

Any credible - and I mean ANY - advice is warmly received from a total novice of this, but someone who passionately wants to burn some oil through a V8 before the world turns electric!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Welcome to the cobra forum and I am sure you will get lots of good advice from experience builders and owners from the site. I think you have decided on what two makes of cars your looking for and they are popular so you should have a good choice. Every cobra is different which makes the cobra scene more interesting in everyone has there own personal choice and preferences. I would look at all the major elements you are looking for in the type of car.
    Depending on your budget entry level should be a Rover V8 followed by Chevy 5.7 or 351 Ford. The next leap is LS engines. Engine spec do vary and horse power depending on the level of after market parts.

I would find a good local garage who can carry out some work on the car for service and minor works to sort any minor issues. Classic or old school garage.

Going to a dealer will give you peace of mind with some warranty cover which might be your preference.

The quality and level of detail will vary so do some homework and look at a few cars. Some paint jobs are stunning and can cost of 6k upwards.

Try and go along to a local meet. Not sure where in Surrey your based. You also get cars come up for sale on this forum and you have to be quick before the dealers.

Ask lots of questions here . We are only happy to help.

Welcome Tim,

Great suggestion from Jon above to try and find a local meet and then I am sure some of the owners will let you have a sit in some cars....from my experience this is really critical as you might like certain aspects of a particular make, but you might find it uncomfortable to sit in or a driving position that doesn't suit you.

Other than that, as with building these cars, it is very much personal preference for a lot of things.

If you are not much in to tinkering then get the engine you want that has the power you want as you will probably not want to upgrade it later.

Ask as many questions as you can think of - everyone on here is really helpful!

Kit has arrived.....follow my progress here at my blog:
    http://marksak427.blogspot.co.uk

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

Well.....that's the plan at the moment!

Welcome to the money pit......

Hi TimmyP,

If you have a list of the things your perfect Cobra should have then this may lead you towards a particular manufacturer. Do you want the race car look with number roundels, quick lift jacks etc? Side exit exhaust pipes may steer you away from GD? You may want to look at Hawk for a earlier period looking 'slabside' Cobra without the fat rear wheel arches. Thinking about engines, a fuel injected like Chevy LS are generally more powerful and better starting. However a V8 with a carburettor gives a more period look and could be an opportunity to learn about how engines work for a bit of home tinkering. You budget will also be a factor.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Hi TimmyP,

If you have a list of the things your perfect Cobra should have then this may lead you towards a particular manufacturer. Do you want the race car look with number roundels, quick lift jacks etc? Side exit exhaust pipes may steer you away from GD? You may want to look at Hawk for a earlier period looking 'slabside' Cobra without the fat rear wheel arches. Thinking about engines, a fuel injected like Chevy LS are generally more powerful and better starting. However a V8 with a carburettor gives a more period look and could be an opportunity to learn about how engines work for a bit of home tinkering. You budget will also be a factor.

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra

How did I manage to post that twice??

Russ.
    1984 DAX Cobra

Budget is usually the first thing you need to decide.
    ‚ÄčPro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

What Dave said,
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I always thought the budget was the first thing to go!

Hi Timmy p,

My car is up for sale at moment somewhere on this site and AK website.
    Your more than welcome to pop over ,talk Cobras and I can take you for a spin (any excuse to drive it !) Give you a taster of what different Cobras are like.

I am in the Henley on Thames area.
    A few details, 5.7 Chevy , its an AK and built buy Antony Hale at ,Absolute Horsepower. Rosso Ferrari Red, immaculate condition , all service and build history.
    Feel free to give me a call 07967806281
    Sean
    AK - Gen 1 - Chevy 350 - 5.7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast