Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exhaust Gaskets use silicone ?

Hi,

I am regular having to change the exhaust manifold gaskets as they don't last. I have seen some people have had great success with using silicone sealant instead of gaskets. Which silicone sealant is best ? Looking at a high temperature black.

I suspect that there might be some problem if your exhaust gaskets aren't lasting. How long, and how many miles do they last. My Ford 302 has done over 40k miles and I've never had an issue.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

If they're blowing that frequently, it sounds as though your headers have warped flanges. My original Dax headers were like that, and the cure was these:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2006/overview/

The above link is for square port SBC heads, but they do them for Fords etc as well. Once I fitted those, they never blew again. When I fitted my Dave Brookes headers, I invested in more of these gaskets. They used to have a German distributor, but that no longer seems to be the case - a shame, as it reduced the postage costs considerably!

Well worth the money IMO.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Not seen them before. Looks like a good solution.

Also available on amazon.com and ship to UK -

https://www.amazon.com/Remflex-2006-...s%2C207&sr=8-1
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Sorry should of said .Looking for Ford Cleveland 2v round port . So my options are limited. The last two sets were from Realsteal . They crack and go hard . They seal up ok but seem to age very quickly . They do a copper set last time I asked for drag racing using . I am only doing road use !

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sce-4052

Found these plus shipping and tax I am looking at $80 about £70 !
    Last edited by jon1d; 12-06-19 at 12:12 PM.

If its any use, I used gaskets (Fel-Pro, I think, they were quite thick) and silicone on my FE.
    My headers are separate 4-into-1s, so warping isn't much of a problem though.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hi Jon,

Have a look here - http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/99.htm for which one to use and order from amazon.com??

e.g. 3006 is $42.38 delivered to UK including all fees. That's £33.25 at the current exchange rate.

https://www.amazon.com/Remflex-3006-...gateway&sr=8-1

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    If its any use, I used gaskets (Fel-Pro, I think, they were quite thick) and silicone on my FE.
    My headers are separate 4-into-1s, so warping isn't much of a problem though.
    Thanks Kevin .I will take a look at Fel-Pro. My last set was Victor Reinz from Realsteal not very thick and like a ceramic not flexible or soft. There rocket cover gaskets were great.

Yes I have only used hi temp silicon for years now and never had any problems at all, not touched them at all for at least the last 6 years or so. I suspect my exhaust manifold is slightly warped but the silicon is a great solution. The stuff you mention sounds like the stuff to use. Saves wasting any more money on gaskets.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks Martin,

That's reasuring 6 years sounds good to me . There does seem to be a couple of major names that keep popping up and good reviews. I think my heads might well be warped but they snug up and air tight but the gaskets don't last unless I go copper. Not seen a UK supplier so shipping and tax makes them costly compared to a couple of tubes of cooper gasket at £20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast