Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Acoustafil and DB side pipes

Hi,
    Anyone put Acoustafil in the Dave brooks side pipes? I need new sound deadening in mine.
    If so where you order from and how much was requured, did i make difference etc..

With the trials of the sound cameras going on i thought i better try something, although i dont know how they could implement it easily
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-noise-fine-UK

Although 74 db...? What is IVA now?? 92 or 98?
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

I filled my Crendon pipes which are quite similar to Dave's and made quite a bit of difference.
    It also made the car sound soooo much nicer - more burbley - seems to cut a lot of the high frequency rasp out.
    Last edited by KevinW; 12-06-19 at 05:12 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

So how will they enforce this as older cars might well exceed the limit. The statement is 90 db limit set by the police and IVA used to be 99 dB . Its at a trial stage .

Some thoughts:

No exhaust system can amplify the sound from an engine - amplification is a multiplicative process, which requires an active component, whereas an exhaust system is passive and can only attenuate the noise....to varying degrees.

If you notice the wording. the Minister says 'IF it gets developed'.

My reading of this.... its an AI system that needs tens of thousands of training examples to make a reliable inference. The data probably doesn't exist, so this may well be a data collection exercise. If the analysis looks promising, it'll be rolled out. Presumably it'll hit urban areas first as thats where the problems lie?

If it was put outside my house, I'd be very happy, as i get sick of scooter boys and other assorted idiots whining up and down past my house.

I suspect they are after Harleys, scooter boys and JDM modded cars that make a horrible din at all revs. Not that hard to pootle by in top gear at low revs in one of our cars I think, in full compliance of the law.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks for that, where did you get the wadding from? Only can see demon tweeks and not wide enough..
    Reg
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

Gav, try Birchills in Walsall. I used to buy lots from them when I was self employed. They sell large rolls of top quality acoustic wadding, also stainless steel wire wool. If you wrap a thin layer of stainless wire wool around the baffles before rolling the wadding on, it keeps the heat down and stops the wadding degrading so quickly. Mick

I changed to Acoustafil in my DB pipes and I love the sound!
    I went to De,on tweaks
    Measure the diameter of the baffles and allow 2 /3 wraps and yes it ain't wide enough but just cut and butt ! It's fine
    I taped mine with masking tape
    Don't wrap too tight it gets louder!
    CHRIS C - SW REP - Maisie (DB No.46)
    Diplomat and expert on French Motoring Tribunals

Quote Originally Posted by westborne View Post
    I changed to Acoustafil in my DB pipes and I love the sound!
    I went to De,on tweaks
    Measure the diameter of the baffles and allow 2 /3 wraps and yes it ain't wide enough but just cut and butt ! It's fine
    I taped mine with masking tape
    Don't wrap too tight it gets louder!
    I did exactly this. Take heed of not wrapping too tightly. The man above speaks the truth. My experience was similar to Kevins above. It cut out a lot of the higher frequency rubbish and so now its a nice low rumble.

Bit of a minefield with these acoustic cameras isn't it. The legal noise limits for production cars are measured in very specific conditions. Lots of cars are engineered to pass the test in these conditions but be noisy in other conditions i.e. most supercars. To my mind its a bit like the game thats played for emissions and economy cycles.

This roadside noise is not quite comparable to the IVA limit as that's measured at 0.5m 45 degrees to the exhaust. These cameras are measuring roadside noise not static noise, more akin to the driveby noise limits you get at track days.

Most track days that I've seen have drive by noise limits of 92 or 95dB measured at 20m, so you would hope a sensible place to start would be a limit in the high 90's but this is the gubberment we're talking about so who knows.

We're only at best a couple of generations away from it being socially unacceptable to drive a massive noisy V8 so get out driving while you can.

Dave A

Thanks all, will measure insert and outside pipe diameter then can order the right amount.
    Regards
    Gav
    AK Ls1/t56
    Body on April 2014
    Passed IVA March 2017
    Registered April 2017.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that if you wrap tighter the pipes stay cooler.

So, loud and cool or quiet and hot.

Will be doing mine in a couple of days too.

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast