AK gen 1 air filter advice

I am almost finished rebuilding my Ford 302 as a 347 stroker and looking for advice as to the largest K&N filter I can fit under the standard bonnet. I am running a vac secondary Holley with manual choke and an Edelbrock RPM performer intake manifold and don't have a spacer under the carb as yet. Any shared experience or advice, as usual would be much appreciated. Cheers, Mick

Hi,

Lots of variables engine mount positions and kind of mounts used . Height of inlet manifold. If you have every thing in place except the air filter? I would do the plasticine trick. Put some thing that is 14 inch dia 3 inch high and put the plasticine onto then slowly close the bonnet. All so the kind of airfilter top might limit your options. I had to cut and rejoin mine.

I have https://www.holley.com/products/disc...ct/parts/220-5

fitted to a costume made cobra oval filter. Very good air pull through as I had in on a rolling road on and off with very little difference.

Thanks Jon, useful advice re plasticine. I was hoping someone would have a similar set up, but as you point out, too many variables. Had a look at the link to the holley filter. I am planning on going with a K&N as I am hoping to have room for the X-Stream style top as it flows more air, particularly if I have to fit a shorter height filter. Cheers, Mick

X stream tops don’t give much benefit, if any. There’s a few dyno tests on YouTube - tip down air filter give best flow, side/pancake are ok. The combination of top and side give turbulent air..

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB74 View Post
    X stream tops don’t give much benefit, if any. There’s a few dyno tests on YouTube - tip down air filter give best flow, side/pancake are ok. The combination of top and side give turbulent air..
    That's true if the top of the air filter is open to the air with unlimited flow - in fact I remember Mike Hiddart proving this on his dyno. However, these tend to be fitted when bonnet clearance is limted - that's my situation, with the air filter nut nearly touching the underside of the bonnet. In this scenario the bonnet acts as a a slightly taller filter top, so the air will come in horizontally from the underside of the bonnet and then down into the filter. That pretty well eliminates the "free air" turbulance problem, and I've been running my X-Stream set up for many years without any problems.

That's my practical experience anyway!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383