Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumo Brakes.

Sumo Brakes.

Despite passing the MOT last week and the tester saying the brakes are ok Im not really happy with them.
    Has anyone fitted any different calipers etc? if so what. I am using the Granada calipers at the moment and they were reconditioned units last year.
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

I'll be interested to hear the answers as this may be the next "improvement" in the winter, Burton do a hi-spec brake conversion but it's big money, mine are the standard Granada solid discs up front and drum on the back, I'd like to go vented on the front and disc on the back ( more for ease of pad replacement and looks than efficiency on the rear) but haven't looked too far into it yet, I believe that Capri vented discs will fit but I'm not sure with the hybrid Granada/ cortina setup on my car

Can you not fit vented discs/ calipers from a late Granada/ Scorpio etc? They should be more than up to the job considering the weight difference between the cars.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    I'll be interested to hear the answers as this may be the next "improvement" in the winter, Burton do a hi-spec brake conversion but it's big money, mine are the standard Granada solid discs up front and drum on the back, I'd like to go vented on the front and disc on the back ( more for ease of pad replacement and looks than efficiency on the rear) but haven't looked too far into it yet, I believe that Capri vented discs will fit but I'm not sure with the hybrid Granada/ cortina setup on my car
    If you go down this route please post on here how you'd go about it. One of the many projects I have in mind is to convert the rear Granada drums to discs. I did look up on google how feasible it was but not being that mechanical was unable to evaluate how easy / difficult the options would be.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Seem to remember years ago a few people fitted Austin Princess calipers to the front of MKII Sumos

Don't make the mistake of only focusing on the front brakes, with a lower CoG a cobra can use better brakes on the rear. If you can lock the fronts OK then look at the rear, must be possible to get disks on the rear of a Granada I'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Don't make the mistake of only focusing on the front brakes, with a lower CoG a cobra can use better brakes on the rear. If you can lock the fronts OK then look at the rear, must be possible to get disks on the rear of a Granada I'd have thought.

I have discs on the front and rear, I mean they work fine, but I want a bit more stopping power when I'm towing the caravan with it even though the caravan has brakes.
    I might see if there are some Willwood calipers that fit,

I will report back anything I find
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I have discs on the front and rear,
    Which rear discs did you use please Ken & where did you source them ? Cheers !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Have you tried fitting different pads on the front?

Something on my list to try next time...

I share the, apparent, level of dissatisfaction with the brakes on the Sumo. On my build, which uses the donor Granada brakes, I upgraded the front rotors to Brembo 260mm grooved & vented with EBC Green stuff pads and fitted new standard 253mm solid rotors on the rear with Mintex pads. I spent a great deal of time pre IVA trying to get the brakes to feel firmer and to increase the braking force which was marginal. All the flexible brake lines were replaced with SS overbraided Teflon lines which made little difference. The car passed the IVA but I remained unhappy with the performance of the brakes. This is not to say that the car was in any way dangerous, it passed the IVA and subsequently has passed MOT brake tests, but the brakes never inspired confidence which was especially evident on track days.

As part of the upgrade to replace the Rover V8 with the Toyota 1UZ-FE engine & BMW gearbox I am also planning a brake upgrade. I have ditched the Sierra pedal box and servo and will be fitting a Wilwood pedal box with 6.25:1 pedal ratio and dual M/C. The rear brakes will stay standard but the front brakes will be replaced with the HiSpec Billet 4 calipers and 300mm grooved rotors.

The tricky bit will be to size the master cylinders to achieve the desired pedal force & feel - what could go wrong!!

Regards,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast