June Thames Valley Meet Tomorrow (Sun 23rd) - Change of Venue

Hi all.

As the meet clashed with Fathers Day, it was rescheduled for tomorrow (23rd June). The forecast is looking good, so I suggest we meet at The Bell Inn at Aldworth - 3 Ambury Rd, Aldworth, Reading RG8 9TL

We've been there several times before - a good old fashioned pub with excellent beer, good (and cheap!) food, and a large paddock at the back for our cars - perfect!

As it's near me I'll go straight there - I'll be there from around 12:15/12:30. You guys local to Reading might want to meet up and drive to Aldworth together - it's a nice drive. Last time I drove through Streatley the road up the hill from the traffic lights next to The Bull was closed off, but I think it's open again now.

Martin (MartBlak) - if you want to meet up with me near Didcot and drive to The Bell together, just reply to this thread and we'll sort out a meeting point and time.

See you guys tomorrow.
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

Have a good one, I'm off to Bicester to the Bicester Scramble.

The hill was open this week when I went past but could be weekend closures.

David

Have fun David - hopefully we'll meet again at next month's meeting.

I've just realised that I'll need to push back the August one by a week as well, as Rob and I will be on our journey back from the ECM in Denmark.
    Alan

Epic voyage you have there, have a good trip.

For any lurking here as well don't forget the Goodwood Breakfast 1st Sunday in August, its a great morning, Pre tax is the order of the day but parking in the field opposite then wandering around is just as good.

Hi Alan,

I will be heading down but am not sure what time I will get away from here so will find my way down to The Bell as close as possible to 12.15. Thanks for the offer of meeting up beforehand but will see you there.

Martin

Hi again Alan,

I have just looked at where The Bell is and it is a really easy nice drive down via Benson and Wallingford. I have checked with the boss and can certainly get away by 11.15 so would you be able to meet up somewhere between Wallingford and Didcot at 11.45'ish. Can you PM me to arrange a place and agree a time.

Thanks

Martin

Martin,

PM sent!
    Alan

Hi guys.

Sorry for the "no show" today. I had a senior moment when I pulled the car out of the garage, looked at the dashboard clock and was surprised to see it was 11:20. So after refuelling I headed off to Benson to meet Martin, and when he wasn't there realised that my car clock was still set to European time, so I was an hour early - d'oh!!!

So as my son only lives a few miles away, I headed for Chalgrove. As I turned into his road, the sump guard grounded on a road hump. When I later went to start the car again, it wouldn't fire. After fiddling with various LT and HT leads, it eventually started, but wasn't firing on all cylinders. As I hadn't yet got round to putting my tools back in the boot, my son had to take me home to pick some up. I checked all the plugs, then noticed an inline fuse holder in the ignition circuit that was hanging loose and had started to come apart - presumably from when I ran over the speed hump!

So I put it back together and taped it up, and the engine fired up straight away. It seemed to be running better than ever on the way home, so I reckon there must have been an intermittent connection problem there for a while.

Fear not Rob - I'll be replacing that fuse holder and securely mounting it before we set off for the ECM!
    Alan

Sorry not to meet you Alan but glad you have sorted the problem. I am pretty flexible, on any dry evening or weekend to meet up somewhere for a pint as it is always good to have an excuse for a run out.

We can set something up by PM.

Martin

Sounds good Martin - I'll be in touch by PM or phone.

BTW, after arriving at my son's house, I was talking to a couple of his neighbours. I told them about my annual long distance European tours, and they said that it must be a very reliable car - to which I replied that in 13 years it had never let me down by failing to start. So it was really embarrassing when it failed to start ten minutes later! An easy fix though - it's all just part of the fun of Cobra ownership, as you'll no doubt find out!
    Alan