Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My original rubber hoses never leaked, and I rue the day I replaced them with silicone hoses. My experience is that these will stay watertight after a few re-tightenings of the clips PROVIDED:

1) the pipes/radiator connections have proper lips (rather than an uneven bead of weld)

AND

2) the hose is directly inline with the pipes/connections at each end - i.e. you don't have to bend the hose to fit.

Both of the above situations cause the silicone to deform, and after a few heat cycles they start to leak. I've replaced all those hoses with rubber ones, and none of these have leaked since.

That's my experience anyway - they look pretty, but for me function trumps style every time!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

When I took the leaking silicone hose off the thermostat housing, I noticed the housing outlet was deformed, almost oval (see photo), so it was no wonder the damn thing was leaking. So I have ordered a new one from Real Steel, and a metre length of black rubber hose, with some “T” bolt clamps from my local motor factors. I won’t use any sealant, as I shouldn’t have to with good old fashioned rubber hoses. When I get time, I will do the same as Alan and swap all the silicone hoses for rubber ones.

When I put the new housing on, I will use a new “O” ring gasket supplied with housing, and just to make sure, I will put a smear of permatex black the right stuff, around the edge.

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Doe anyone know why the inside of my old thermostat housing would be so badly corroded. As far a i know ,its always had the correct Blue antifreeze in, as recommended by the someone who runs the America Auto club and guys on this forum.

I was talked into buying some "Mikalor" T-bolt clamps to use with my rubber hoses, but i think they are to rigid and are not sealing properly, as the hoses were slightly leaking and have had to add normal jubilee clips .

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

I had that thermostat housing Paul and not to put too fine a point on it, it was crap! Never could get it to seal for long. The rubber “O” ring was useless and so I made a gasket used silicone all to no avail. I came to the conclusion it was just badly made and poor quality. I think the corrosion your seeing on it is a reflection of that. I replaced it with an ally one from Stateside Autos on the A5 and that’s been fine.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    I had that thermostat housing Paul and not to put too fine a point on it, it was crap! Never could get it to seal for long. The rubber “O” ring was useless and so I made a gasket used silicone all to no avail. I came to the conclusion it was just badly made and poor quality. I think the corrosion your seeing on it is a reflection of that. I replaced it with an ally one from Stateside Autos on the A5 and that’s been fine.
    Dek
    It was fitted by the original engine builder, but the one i have on now is from Real Steel,and has the proper full lip on the end of the outlet pipe ,whereas the old one didnt !
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    It was fitted by the original engine builder, but the one i have on now is from Real Steel,and has the proper full lip on the end of the outlet pipe ,whereas the old one didnt !
    Hopefully it will be built from a better non-corrosive material and better machined. From Real Steel it should be. Good luck!
    Dek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12