Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    I won’t take anything away from the incredible reliability of Honda and Japanese in general. Anyway that’s all history for you now as you’ve gone rogue and electric!
    Dek
    And it is still Japanese. The jury is still out whether I can put up with it, despite having a petrol engine. It’s a bit small and very dull to drive. However I did go for a small thrash last night in the yellow one
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    However I did go for a small thrash last night in the yellow one
    I thought I heard something...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Got a BMW X3 2.0d - got the faults up, but dropped the DPF off, blew it out with the air gun ( in reverse and normal ) and then hot soak with detergent and further wash and blow out of the loosened gunge. Huge amount of dust came out which you really don't want to breathe but fine ever since. Also took off the intake manifold to clear that and the EGR of black sludge and was transformed on mpg and behaviour. Only using super diesel helps big time too.
    Cobra with nice simple 4.6 in it - no problem

Quote Originally Posted by hughw View Post
    Got a BMW X3 2.0d - got the faults up, but dropped the DPF off, blew it out with the air gun ( in reverse and normal ) and then hot soak with detergent and further wash and blow out of the loosened gunge. Huge amount of dust came out which you really don't want to breathe but fine ever since. Also took off the intake manifold to clear that and the EGR of black sludge and was transformed on mpg and behaviour. Only using super diesel helps big time too.
    Cobra with nice simple 4.6 in it - no problem
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Well done that man!
    Dek

Thanks guys for all the replies and comments, they were very much appreciated. Sorry for the delay in wrapping up this thread.

After discussion with my Daughter, she contacted a company called UK Carbon Cleaning who would come out to her home.

I went up to Rugby on the day and a nice young chap called Winston turned up on time from Coventry. He initially checked the fault codes explained, what he was doing and then disconnected the differential pressure switch, that the AA had replaced on the M1 a few weeks ago. Measuring just the pressure on the engine side of the DPF, it was about 10mBar. He said as long as it's not more than 20mBar it'll be fine, it's not blocked and doesn't need cleaning. He said he's seen them as high as 150mBar when choked up. After further checking he replaced the Differential Pressure sensor again and hey presto a result. A few miles of road testing and it was pronounced job done.

The total cost was £150 for well over two hours labour and travelling and that also included the cost of the new pressure sensor. How they can make a profit out of that is beyond me. I have to say I was impressed with young Winston. Now, will my Daughter be going back to the Main Agent in Rugby who quoted at least £4k to fix it??

Thanks again guys.

Denis
    Last edited by oglyoodoo; 18-07-19 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Missed out a word!

If you take something to bits often enough, eventually you'll have two of them......

GD427E039

Modern cars. Very few people know how to diagnose properly. Cars are overly complex for your average garage to fix.

Andy

Glad you got it sorted Denis. Just shows that main dealers (stealers) aren’t necessarily the best choice when you expect them to know most about their own cars.
    Dek

I'll never own a diesel car, purely so that I never have to own a DPF.

I hate them, you're right, short journeys kill them, start stop traffic kills them... Existing kills them...

They're just an awful design and only exist to solve an issue that doesn't even exist with petty motors anyway.

Fancy owning a car you MUST take on the motorway every week just as part of maintenance...

Quote Originally Posted by OhhEnnEmm View Post
    I'll never own a diesel car, purely so that I never have to own a DPF.
    Unfortunately, coming soon to every petrol car - the GPF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12