Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looming IVA and registering my Cobra

Hi all,
    Well after 25 years...well maybe 27....My SRV8 was fired up and moved under its own power for the first time today and then stopped for ths first time as thankfully the brakes also worked!
    IVA is shceduled for 22nd July and as my car is now so much a one off I have accepted that first time round will be to get a list of what needs to be corrected to pass. Hopefully if will be nothing too fundamental.
    I would be interested to hear from anyone having an IVA recently for any advice or guidance on the day such as what to bring other than lots of tools etc.
    Also anyone who remembers IVAing their SRV8 I would really appreciate your experience and challenges.

My main question for the forum is to get an update on registering a vehicle after the IVA, as I remember there is a certain process to follow to try and avoid the dreaded Q plate. Being an SRV8 it was built from a donor XJ6 jag which I have the old log book and chassis plates for and it uses the suspension, brakes, steering column, modified propshaft, drive shafts etc.

Hoping to get on the road before summer is over, albeit unpainted and uncarpeted!
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Paul, I guess you will most likely be going to Southampton.
    All IVA stations are different so be worth trying to find the particular things they like to see.

The most important thing is that you need build photos demonstrating you built it.

If you are unsure of the process and want some help, I would suggest you employ the services of ex-DVLA man Paul Jepson. £40 (I think) and he will take car of all the paperwork.
    see:
    https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/fo...epson-address/

btw - did you post a something similar a while back?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

hello Paul, I hope you get a friendly examiner, I was lucky, according to my examiner, the chap that usually does the tests was off sick, and was very strict, my guy seemed keen to help me to pass, even supplying tools and lock nuts were necessary. AFAIK it is not possible to get the jaguar year of manufacture because you will not be using two major components from the original car. This is stipulated on the government DVLA website. On saying that I do know of at least one case where a recent kit has been issued with the doner vehicle year of manufacture, and according plates. I don't know if this was a special case, or if the vehicle was manufactured from new parts, and of course the doner vehicle engine, and so was eligible for a new plate, or the doner year. My vehicle was registered in 2015, on a Q plate, the doner vehicle year is not shown anywhere on the V5. BTW I took 22 years to complete

Quote Originally Posted by domo View Post
    hello Paul, I hope you get a friendly examiner, I was lucky, according to my examiner, the chap that usually does the tests was off sick, and was very strict, my guy seemed keen to help me to pass, even supplying tools and lock nuts were necessary. AFAIK it is not possible to get the jaguar year of manufacture because you will not be using two major components from the original car. This is stipulated on the government DVLA website. On saying that I do know of at least one case where a recent kit has been issued with the doner vehicle year of manufacture, and according plates. I don't know if this was a special case, or if the vehicle was manufactured from new parts, and of course the doner vehicle engine, and so was eligible for a new plate, or the doner year. My vehicle was registered in 2015, on a Q plate, the doner vehicle year is not shown anywhere on the V5. BTW I took 22 years to complete

- so far as I can see, he is using 2 major donor parts, and he has the V5, so all should be fine. There are plenty of SRV8s without Q plates.
    Paul, the other person you could talk to is Anthony at Absolute Horesepower, who will be able to guide you through for a reasonable fee.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Paul,

I'm there on the 22nd for my retest at 12:00, so might see you there assuming you're at Southampton. Having recently not passed I can say that the Southampton testers will help and are all decent. Best advice from me is to print the VOSA IVA manual and use that as your guide/bible - I didn't pass on items that caught me out (didn't check them properly for most of them, apart from brake balance F to R), all hopefully easily fixed - the things that I thought I might not pass on were all OK on the day - using the IVA manual as my guide I came away with 6 areas that I didn't pass on, so not bad for a 300 page manual. With regard to the Q plate - my understanding is if you've used a donor car, have the V5, the serial numbers all match and the engine is the original, then that should be OK - if the engine isn't the original then you need something (a letter from the manufacturer) to confirm its build date - the tester will look at all this and ask you questions, so its important to have your story/documentation straight. Apart from that, take some tools (they'll let you adjust your headlight aim for instance), all your paperwork and keep smiling; if you do get through first time - awesome. If not, the tester will give you loads of practical advice to help you get through in the end if you approach it in the right way - btw, it takes 4 hours.

Good luck,
    Phil

Thanks all for the responses. I am pretty much a peace with the IVA itself and am going expecting a list of things that I missed or interpret differently to the inspector.
    The ones I can think of are noise, speedo accuracy, brake bias and possibly some radii etc.
    I am more bothered about the registering process as you really only get one shot at that. Looks like I need to do some DVLA reading and maybe some of the expert service you suggest.

Hope to see you there Phil. I have to try and get there for 8am ! Trying to get a trailer sorted at the moment.
    Paul
    Paul

I've got my fingers, legs, and eyes crossed for you on this one Paul - best of luck

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Well I failed my IVA today, but looking at the positive I now have a defined list of things to resolve and none of them are impossible.
    The test started really well with some very minor observations about some pipe/cable routing and security, the interior and exterior went with flying colours apart from my Brasscraft rear view mirror and my side repeaters having a sharp edge where the screws fit ! Brakes fine and speedo fine. Lights all good and an amazing 93db on my sidepipes thanks to more lagging than there is in my loft!
    We then got hung up on seatbelt mounts which he eventuially accepted after a lot of debate and one change meaning more welding despite the fact that you could definitiely lift the whole car up on any of them.
    From there is got harder.... Some uncertainty about the collapsible elements of my steering column, not enough self centring on my steering, unacceptable head restraints and unacceptable proof of the engine age (which I knew was a gamble but worth a try).

So overall I am not exactly happy but not too bad for a car which wasn't even designed for the SVA let alone the IVA. I know have a clear list and the end in sight.
    I guess I need to get on the Southern Roadcraft page to see what other people did about steering self centring.
    Paul

Good effort and now you have your fix it list, so a direction to focus efforts at
    Next time 👍

Well done.... onwards and upwards.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast