351w MSD Mallory Distributor fault

Hi, I posted on here about 4 weeks ago with an intermittent ignition fault... the car turns over and has fuel but won’t fire. Then the next it will and the next it may.. so on and so forth...
    it has an MSD 6AL and blaster 2 coil. I’ve done the spark test on the 6AL and it’s fine. I’ve checked the earths but also (today) added another earth from frame to block. I’ve checked, cleaned and re set the plugs, it has new HT leads but it runs fine when it runs with no misfires. It has a Mallory dizzy.
    it sometimes runs again once I take the dizzy cap off and put it back.... so I changed the cap and rotor arm thinking that sorted it... but no.

my question is could the magnetic module in the breakerless dizzy go faulty intermittently or does it just stop working as that’s the last thing I think it could be...

ive checked the whole system from battery to ignition switch to plugs, nothing is loose as far as I can find, and prodding and poking doesn’t seem to make a difference , ie wiggling cables etc...

i am going to replace the magnetic module and possible the coil .... any thoughts please???
    Last edited by Gowan; 30-06-19 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Crendon No13

Or maybe the ballast resistor failing?
    Crendon No13

I just had similar problems.

You can test the magnetic module, see http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/33...09.html?page=6

My module was fine, but in end I changed nearly everything else - coil, resistor, leads, plugs. From some hours of nothing, suddenly it just started. I think mine was the main ignition lead. If either that or the resistor is failing it can kill the coil

B

Hi, so you sound like you changed everything , pretty much as mine is or what I am about to change.. I did wonder about the resistor as I couldn’t get a 6v supply from the coil when the ignition was on... but I could get a spark when testing the MSD 6AL.. the resistor just reduces the feed to the coil from 12v to 6v doesn’t it? So I guess if it’s failing it will over load the coil .. not sure what that would do to the ignition .. it’s all very frustrating.
    Crendon No13

The resistor limits the current through the coil and through the Mallory magnetic. You can buy coil and resistor together on ebay for not much.

My understanding is that you do not need the ballast resistor when using the MSD 6AL.
    https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...1/121-6420.pdf

I used to run a MSD 2AL and you don't need a blast resistor, so I decided not to use one without any problems. As I understand it the whole need for running a blast is outdated now and unnecessary, just more things to go wrong. JMHO

forgot to say I also used a petronix ignition in the distributor which was a really good bit of kit.
    Last edited by TINKA; 01-07-19 at 08:25 AM.

Why are you ruling out fuel problems?
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Plugs were wet when I checked them, plenty of fuel going through carb, I took the air cleaner off and pumped the throttle, fuel just squirted through.. not sure what else to check to prove fuel..
    Crendon No13