Sidepipe melting paint

Hi
    My paint on the nearside sidepipe exit hole looks like its started to melt - is raised and looks bubbly.
    The side pipes are about an inch from the body and have a good clearance (at least 10mm) between sidepipe and body cut out.
    The bubbling is only on the nearside - and only on one side of the exit hole.
    Anyone else seen this before. Seems strange that if it is heat related, it's only on one side.

Thanks

Pete

IMG_1792.jpg
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

Pete,

I noticed something very similar on one of AK’s demo Cars.
    When I asked Jon about it he said it was caused by putting the car on a dyno without cooling fans.
    Coincdentally I’m pretty sure it wsas the nearside too.
    Have you had yours on a dyno ??

Hi Mike
    Yes mine was on a dyno a couple of weeks ago so that explains it.
    Good to know as I was worried that driving the car normally was causing it and was thinking it would get worse.

Cheers

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

So anyone else with sidepipes, put some protection if getting it dyno'ed

Hi i'm wrapping my headers to reduce underbonnet temps i just wondered weather that makes the problem worse upon the exit bends at the heat is transferred to the bend? Do you have a stainless steel escutcheon plate thats also heating up thus cooking the paint? Going to speak to a paint man next week prior to paint

Yes the pipes will get hotter where they exit the wing but no idea by how much though.

I have had no damage to my paint where the exhaust exits. No metal escutcheons either. If you are using a modified engine, the factory idle timing is probably too retarded. This makes the exhaust very hot.

On the other hand, if you're on a track pushing hard, I have no comment as I have never done that.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I shall use my laser thermometer on the wrapped side and compare to unwrapped side, i solved one issue where brake area to hot, since wrapping and shielding servo and pipes cool. Then theres the pipe ext heated paint etc. Hmmmm. Will check timing etc, my engine not tuned in yet.

The reason I mentioned timing is that my engine headers and side-pipes were extremely hot when I was timing my car and started at a very low BTDC number. As I kept increasing the advance, the exhaust heat kept going down and was eventually minimal at the advance setting that worked best for me.

Another point is for those of you with a vacuum advance distributor. If you connect to the carb ported vacuum, there is no advance at idle (the vacuum comes on just a b it above idle). Using non-ported manifold vacuum will keep the advance up at idle and result in a cooler idling engine.

This is all at idle. At speed, there should be enough air rushing by to keep the paint cool.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”