Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Python

- ah my mistake above.

But the Sri Lankan car also had some peculiar inclined shocks at the front. You might want to satisfy yourself these are OK.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I think “engineering disaster” would be more accurate!
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    I think “engineering disaster” would be more accurate!
    Yes there was a long debate about the use of a track rod end in completely the wrong way. Instead of unloaded on the steering rack, they used it on the end of the top wish bone taking all the weight of that corner of the car.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    If my memory serves, it was built out in Sri Lanka. It caused a lot of debate at the time because there were glowing reports from one mag, but they were involved with it as a sales front. I remember a rather damning report in another mag, but you could question their impartiality as well perhaps. If you dig around in the history of the forum I'd be surprised if there weren't some threads on it, it was a well debated topic.

Personally I'd be inclined to tread carefully until you can find someone else who's built one and who can tell you what to expect. I'm possibly being unfair, but I'd avoid paying mainstream prices for it unless you have a convincing argument from someone who owns one.
    Many thanks for your input -it is cheap enough and I have built several custom and classic vehicles over the years so fairly adaptable but worried in case a screenframe or dash from other versions won't fit ?

The screen is universal as there's only one supplier now and the dash is something you can build yourself to your own design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    If my memory serves, it was built out in Sri Lanka. It caused a lot of debate at the time because there were glowing reports from one mag, but they were involved with it as a sales front. I remember a rather damning report in another mag, but you could question their impartiality as well perhaps. If you dig around in the history of the forum I'd be surprised if there weren't some threads on it, it was a well debated topic.

Personally I'd be inclined to tread carefully until you can find someone else who's built one and who can tell you what to expect. I'm possibly being unfair, but I'd avoid paying mainstream prices for it unless you have a convincing argument from someone who owns one.
    The price is reasonable and I have built a few customs and classic/vintage projects but am concerned whether the screen or dash etc from another variant will fit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadpipelouie View Post
    The price is reasonable and I have built a few customs and classic/vintage projects but am concerned whether the screen or dash etc from another variant will fit ?
    Why not contact Brasscraft and ask for some measurements? The distance between the mounting legs and their length will tell you if you’re in with a chance of mounting it somewhere on the chassis. As said dash easy to make out of ply, fibreglass.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Yes there was a long debate about the use of a track rod end in completely the wrong way. Instead of unloaded on the steering rack, they used it on the end of the top wish bone taking all the weight of that corner of the car.
    I wonder if it was engine clearance related? I remember it was supposed to take the BMW engine, and as with all OHC engines, fitting in something that wide raised eyebrows at the time. Sounds like an interesting project to engineer the bugs out of one maybe
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    . . . . they used it on the end of the top wish bone taking all the weight of that corner of the car.

I always understood that the weight was taken by the lower wishbone, through the spring & shock absorber, and that the function of the top wishbone was to set the camber & caster angles and control them during suspension movement?

Regards,
    Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

From memory I think it had inboard springs, hence the issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast