need some advice.

hello Cobra fans, back in 1992 I bought a DAX cobra kit, I also bought a Jag XJ6, unfortunately I bought a house as well. I also got married and got Kids, so the order of completing stuff was the reverse order of the listing. So now I have grown Kids, finished house and half finished cobra. So what are the chances of getting the cobra registered after all these years ? I read the IVA documentation and came to the conclution that I am an amature builder (at least the car Looks that way), and so I am hoping to get the effective date of the engine, which is from 1979. This would mean that I don't need to have any catalysts and stuff. Can anybody confirm my hopes here ? If I go to the IVA how much of the vehicle Needs to be complete ? what i mean here is do i Need to have all the leather dash and carpets fitted ? or could I basically make sure that the mechanics and electrics are OK, spray a bit of green on the bonnet, to settle the colour question, and put it through the test. The reason for asking is that I live in Germany, and want to be sure that some sort of Registration can be carried out, and so I would like to get the IVA out of the way before completion. I would like to bring the car in its semi finished state to an IVA Station hopefully get through with minor Problems, and then take the car back to Germany. When I got the Jaguar, I declared the car permenantly exported, but the document shows the original uk Registration and engine number and Chassis number, i have the original plate from the Jag engine compartment, so i should be able to clarify uk Registration status, and age. Hope somebody can shed light on my problem for me. oh yes, and what do you get when your car is deemed IVA OK, preumably you get a document which allows you to tax the vehicle ?
    BR Dominic

With regards to the IVA I think a tester will always appreciate a more complete car to test. I just think it looks a bit better if you present a more finished article. As far as already having told DVLA that your donor vehicle has been exported I really don't how that is going to affect the registration of your kit.

Andy
    AK 427, LS 3 power with a Tremec box. In blue with a white stripe.

probably worth calling Dax as there may be more work needed to get the v5 live again and IVA tweekes needed
    Sumo, modified

Andy - just a thought. Have you considered trying to get it registered here in Germany? Cristian Nowak may be able to help. He used to build Dax over here. He speaks good English. CN Fahrzeugbau GmbH in Dormagen – Herzlich willkommen - Cobra, AC Cobra und Shelby Cobra
    Regards
    Nigel B

Unique Autocraft Python
    Chevy 350 ZZ4 TR3550
    Ex UK, Germany, Japan, UK and now back in Germany once again!!

1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Cobra Jet
    351 Cleveland with 4 speed hurst shifter
    USA

hello nbracken, yes I have been in contact with him, but because he runs a company, he cannot use the non-professional loop hole in the IVA stipulation, which is why he is telling me that the engine needs to be changed. AFAIK as a non professional builder, I can use any engine I choose, but as a professional car manufacturer, only engines which fulfil newer legislation are allowed. So unfortunately Christian Nowak cannot help too much either. Not to worry though, I have lots of family in the UK, so it should not be too much trouble to migrate the car for a while. Some of my earlier post seem to have not been posted yet, but I think it has something to do with using the at symbol in the mail.

BR Dominic

Hello again Cobra fans, well here I am filling out the IVA 1C for and guess what, I have some questions
    1. Regarding the VIN, the DAX chassis has the VIN on a plate rivitted to the chassis, I am guessing that the VIN should also be stamped into the metal frame, I could do this, but my punch kit has 2mm high digits, is this going to cause dismay at the test ?
    2. regarding section 3C, I just tick A, for amateur build right ? I guess S would not be correct because the Jag is now dead.
    3. on the DAX VIN plate there are AXLE weights, which are not present yet, do I need, and how do I know what to put in here.
    4. does anybody really know how strict a IVA examiner will be, my car dates back to 1994, so the boot lid catch and probably the windscreen holding brackets are dangerously sharp, not to mention those Smiths razor edge gauges, I am hoping that these things can be overlooked, is there a particular test station that understands Cobra problems ?

Iva examiners, as a rule, are really strict! If you think it's too sharp then so will he and you'll fail. Sort those issues now pre-iva

hi cobra fans, its all done and complete, the car went through the IVA first time no problems (2015), well at least a few minor fixable problems, brought the car back here to Germany, and show down. Germans not impressed, 2015 registration, no Cat, no ABS, no emissions class ... no no, well just about everything missing you could think of. So a lot of shaking heads, no interest at all about EU legislation regarding importing vehicles within the EU, so much for that cr*p... The car was eventually registered in April 2019 on a 1979 document (engine year), after 3 years of hard work with (against) the German authorities. Don't recommend importing cobras into Germany at all folks... it shortens your life expectancy a lot.

Hi Domo,

I don't think its just Germany. I know friends of mine trying to get there Kia registered in Spain had all sorts of problems. It should be a simple process . Swap headlights and ensure the car is factory standard and remove toe bar plus electrics.The Spain system is fraught with complicated documents. My friends were given the run around for three months and with no changes to the vehicle since the conversions finally got the vehicle through after a lot of revisits and documents.

I believe importing or registering cobras into Europe if the car is classed as old time status allows cars to have less issues with the registration process. Hence older cars are shipped to Europe when they come up for sale.