Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tremec gearboxes

Hi.
    Does anyone run a Tremec TR3560 or TR3650 in their Cobras? I'm running a SBC350 with about 250bhp and there are quite a few of these about. Are they up to the job for absorbing the power in a lightweight car?
    Call me tight but I really don't want to pay £4K for a new transmission. I don't intend getting big power from my engine, I don't see the point. So paying £4K plus change for a TKO is not on the top of my list.
    I'm running a 3.07 LSD.

Cheers,

David.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Can't see you having a problem. Our cars are light so gearboxs don't get strained that much.

Andy

They are commonly used in the Ford mustang GT (300bhp/460nm) so should be ample for the job.

Tremec box's are strong and reliable, they have been fitted to loads of high end inc Aston Martin's for years!

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

if you can find a world series T5, as used on cosworth sierras, and a bellhousing adaptor then that will suit the bhp.

looks like they have been used on GM cars before:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-Gearbo...EAAOSws5Fcq0VC

They aren't that expensive.
    Last edited by KevinW; 12-07-19 at 03:08 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I have an old Getrag 5 speed from a Jag, or they are also in some BMW's in mine no problems with them handling the power at all.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    if you can find a world series T5, as used on cosworth sierras, and a bellhousing adaptor then that will suit the bhp.

looks like they have been used on GM cars before:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-Gearbo...EAAOSws5Fcq0VC

They aren't that expensive.
    lots of BS about T5 gearboxes and here is a classic example! The listing says it's 4 speed gearbox and it doesn't look like a T5 either. The T5 is a 5 speed gearbox. You don't usually see T5's for much under £750 even knackered ones !

There are a lot of variations of the T5 and there is a difference between straight 4 and V8 applications. The Cosworth T5 has a different size input shaft IIRC which might cause a problem when trying to get the right size diameter clutch?

To properly identify any T5 or other Tremec gearbox for that matter you need the ID number of the metal tag that's attached to them when they are built.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    Hi.
    Does anyone run a Tremec TR3560 or TR3650 in their Cobras? I'm running a SBC350 with about 250bhp and there are quite a few of these about. Are they up to the
    What gearbox do you have at the moment what makes you want to change?

I could be wrong but I don't think the TR3560 will fit anything other than the modular Ford engines from about 2001 on. I've rightly or wrongly come to the conclusion that the reason the these gearboxes sell for around half the price of a T5 is that they have have an integral bell housing (might be wrong about that?) and there isn't any bell housing / gearbox adapter options for other engines ?

Being a later design to design to the Borg Warner / Tremec T5 world class I would suspect it's a stronger gear box ?

I have a 302 SBF in my Cobra rep I've recently finished changing the 1992 Borg Warner T5 in it to a 6 speed Tremec T56 (Not the same as newer Magnum T56)

I have a friend with a Tremec TK500 in his SBC powered Dax it feels like a much better more precise shift than my T5.

I am currently running a Saginaw 4 speed which is agricultural to say the least. On a run without the fifth gear I average about 13 mpg!
    I am hoping to use the bell housing from this gearbox as it can be detached and fitting it to a Tremec. I have been led to believe it's a straight fit but of course reading these replies, it may depend on the Tremec choice.

The Getrag is a viable choice as the adaptor plate is readily available through AK.
    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting.

Hi all , I have a T5 would class reconditioned box in the garage, but what is it worth, or do I keep it just in case ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I am currently running a Saginaw 4 speed which is agricultural to say the least. On a run without the fifth gear I average about 13 mpg!
    Maybe you also need to review the differential ratio ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast