Question DAX deep style dashboard

Hi all my dashboard is going to be leather once I’ve decided on layout so for IVA I just covered in vinyl carbon fibre wrap it has failed on the 4-6 inch part that widens to the tunnel as not being 19mm radius curve!
    Has anyone had this if so what’s the best fix of a moulding or rubber strip?
    Thanks
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Just covered my dax dash, where did you mean exactly? I might be in the same boat (pre iva)

i have a radius curve and covered with 8 mm scrim foam then the leather cloth all the way round. I was then going to interface extra under panel work including the void area carrying on the side walls of the centre bit going back to the firewall. Perhaps also boxing off the heater box in the pass side footwell.

how did you get on with the guages etc. I have smiths with the V shape bezel embedded in the foam.

Hi there, I put a push on edging strip from the left edge as you’re looking at the dash panel so below where the glovebox would be, it’s roughly halfway along that length where the tester wasn’t happy that it’s not 19mm radiused. I don’t think there’s an issue if you cover with leather and pad it out as you probably lose that edge, as I said I haven’t got my final idea yet so only covered and made look tidy, I’ll try and upload a photo.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Dashboard

Hopefully picture are here and 1 to follow, the masking tape in the next picture is roughly the area we are talking about.
    Mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Ah yes i see, its where the two surfaces meet, was the dash bottom edge not already rolled round like mine.

pm me your email and i’ll send image of what i did.

graham

The dash is rolled (I have the same dash) but it isn't a 19mm radius .. if you grab a radius tool (cheap, ebay) you'll see that 19mm is actually gigantic. If padded then the radius only has to be 5mm; I could check but the radius is in excess of 5mm but less than 10mm IIRC.

I don't know if Mr IVA will accept stuck-on padding as that is likely to be deemed temporary. It would be quite cheap to add upholstery foam and cheap vinyl though, making it padded and therefore compliant .. that's probably the best option, even if that's not your intended final finish - just don't glue the padding & vinyl down over the complete surface (only on the back) and it will still be removableish..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

exactly what i did!

Cheers guys for your help that’s sort of where I’m at really, I’ve stuck some thin almost like draught excluder to start with then I’m putting a roll bar pad on top of that and I’ve ordered a leather steering wheel cover that I’m going to open up and glue over the whole lot. Hopefully that gets the radius and does look too out of place. If you have an image of yours CG that would be helpful.
    Cheers
    Mark
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

I still not worked out how to upload a photo. Been on here since 2001! Under previous disguise ‘graham’

You have to start to right a post then touch the go advanced tag at the bottom of the page it then gives you options wherever you have the photo stored, so if on an iPad you can upload from your photo library.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy