SRV8 steering self centre for IVA

Hi SR owners. As probably the last person to ever IVA a SRV8, I wonder if any of you can remember having issues about the lack of self centre on the steering and the column collasible zones ? My car is an original 90's SR with a Mk1 XJ Jag upper column .
    I seem to remember people talking about setting very heavy toe-in on the steering but I would have imagined it is more like the castor etc ?
    The column has a collapible zone on it but the examiner is questioning the upper section near the wheel.

Any experience from others who can remember would be much appreciated.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader (27 years,still building! That must be a record but getting close!!!)

Early SRV8 - I've got all the shims in the upper wishbone at the front end of the ball end carrier and got good self centering - could probably reduce but haven't as yet. Negligible toe in and after playing with spring and damper rates feels good and predictable.

Caster is the answer as long as you are slightly “toe in”

Rgds

Jim

Thanks for the replies. I had all the shims in the front but not many washers in the front upper mounting bolt so an trying that to get more caster. I can then fiddle with real settings post IVA.
    It would be good if anyone had a set of recommented settings for the early SRV8 set up, caster, camber, toe in etc.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader (27 years,still building! That must be a record but getting close!!!)

Figs I had on a scanned build manual...
    Castor 2.0 - 2.5 +ve
    Camber 0.25 -0.75 degrees -ve
    Toe in 1/16"

Rear
    Camber 0.25 -0.75 -ve
    Toe in 1/32"

You can also add some psi to your front tyres should help a bit.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I don't know what the castor is on Dax or GD when running Jag suspension but on an AM the castor is more like 5 deg which is about what mine has always been. So if you have persistent problems self centering a bit more angle shouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the details Hugh, and thanks for the other replies. It now had 5 washers on the upper wishbone where it mounts on the chassis which should do the job. Also found some of the UJ's in the column were binding. Just need to test it out with 99PSI in the tyres !
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pevans View Post
    Thanks for the details Hugh, and thanks for the other replies. It now had 5 washers on the upper wishbone where it mounts on the chassis which should do the job. Also found some of the UJ's in the column were binding. Just need to test it out with 99PSI in the tyres !

- just check the max poundage on the sidewalls of your tyres!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.