Ride height question

Hi
    Since I put my 350 ford engine into the Cobra (GD Mk4) it has sat a bit low at the front. Previous engine was an RV8 so quite a weight difference. I have tried winding the suspension up at the front but it doesn't seem to have made any great difference and I'm not sure how far I can actually wind .
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Martin

GD427 Mk4. Chassis No J0258

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

I would say max height is ...'until you run out of thread'.
    But I'm not a suspension expert.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Like Kevin said if you have more thread use it.
    Alternatively you might need stronger springs.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

When i was refurbing my shocks and springs I was given the specs (Dax) of the required springs front and back. They differed quite a lot based on what engine is in the car. Ford and Chevys being much heavier required stronger springs.
    You might want to have a look at uprating them to suite your engine.

First you probably have linear springs - so winding them up does not affect how much weight it takes to compress them. it also takes a bit of movement for the weight and springs to settle to it’s real height (if you haven’t moved it out of the workshop yet).

If you have coil overs the height should ideally mean the damper sits in the middle of its stroke. Too Much outside of that and it’s ability to damp falls off, plus you risk bump stops etc etc.

There’s enough difference between rv8 and 350 to warrant new springs alone, but the box probably weighs more too. I’d guess as a percentage more of the cars weight is now at the front than previously.

Also, it’s not just the fronts that are affected when you raise height. cross weighting - roughly this means cars carry weight as diagonal pairs. By raising one corner you make it (bit like a lever) and it’s opposite corner carry more of the cars weight.

Best option is ring Dave at dampertech and ask for new springs. A very helpful chap. He’ll tell you what you need and make it for you for a very reasonable fee.

When I swapped my engines from the RV8 to my current Ford 351W I had to replace the front springs. As said the springs take the weight of the car and the shocks dampen the action. The Ford engine is significantly heavier so if you haven't changed them already you will need stronger springs. Give Andy at GD a ring and he will tell you what to upgrade too.

These are the folks that I went to for new springs - http://www.dfaulknersprings.com , they were very helpful.