Proform Alternator SBC

Hi All,

I am after a few words from the wise

I have a Proform 66445NBASE 12v 65A chrome alternator, on returning from a drive on 'the hot day' last week I heard some rattling from the engine. It turned out to be the alternator fan, on inspection it looks like the fan itself has a shim to decrease the size of the hole which fits the alternator shaft. A spacer near the body end then sandwiches the fan with the pulley on the fan belt end, so as the end pulley was tight, I am at a loss to how the fan gained enough movement to hop off the shim. Anyone came across this and should I just refit the shim as it is still tight in the fan and re-assemble?. Also I'm guessing the fan isn't a serviceable part which would mean a new alternator

Any thoughts appreciated

Barry

Attached Images Attached Images
    AK Gen 1, SBC 350, 3.54PL Diff, Getrag - Build Start 03/09/2010 Passed IVA 01/09/2014 On the Road 01/10/2014

Looks abit of a bodge. Fans in my experience have a small hole with a cut out for the key in the shaft. Buy a new fan, chrome if you are lucky.
    Andy

Dax De Dion 350 sbc

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. As back then replacement fans weren't available I had the fan welded up - big mistake! A few months later the fan split in two (probably because it was out of balance), with one half flying upwards and embedding itself in the underside of the bonnet, and the other flying downwards and narrowly missing the fuel pipe from the mechanical pump - which could have been disastrous! The fan was so well embedded in the bonnet I kept it there as a souvenir for a few months - my very own Ninja shuriken!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

I had a bad experience with exactly the same proform alternator last year in hot weather, the regulator gave up without me knowing (no Volt gauge) car kept on running of course but unbeknown to me now everything is getting fried with 17-18V output at 2800rpm motorway cruise for 2 hours. I think it killed my AFR gauge and I'm sure contributed to my fan relay melting. Luckily all my other main gauges survived

Dave A