Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Head restraints and IVA rules

Me yet again ! I am trying to remake the head restraints having failed the IVA because the tester didnt consider them permanent or of a quality to meet the purpose. I am finding it an intesting challenge to meet the IVA rules and am confused at so many Cobras I have seen with round pads on the roll hoops.
    The rules say the head restraints have to be 700mm above the reference point (a 53mm block on the seat base) but also no more than 50mm gap above the seat and the head restraint. With Cobra seats with a relatively low back that makes the head restraint absolutely huge to meet both requirements!
    Also most seats sit under the rear bodywork leaving a gap of more than 50mm anyway.
    What are peoples experience of how to meet both requirements without having headrests the size of a large plate!
    I was trying to use head rests from a modern car but even those are not big enough !
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

This is not gospel and will need checking but I think if your seat is fixed then you can get away with fixed pads.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

yes they can definitiley be fixed, and yes my seats are fixed, it is the hight and 50mm gap I am struggling with
    Paul

Don't forget that some of the cars you see with different headrests may have passed the SVA test which was slightly less stringent!
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Hopefully I have a solution, modern mini rear head rests seem to be tall and wide enough to do the job with some custom mounts. What a lot of nonsense !
    Paul

Are you saying headrests are a load of nonsence? saved my life when someone ran into the back of me at 50+ mph,

Sorry Tinka, not trying to belittle head restraints, just the IVA rules around them which are hard to meet in a Cobra. There are lots of head restraints working very well out there that would fail the test but save a life just the same.
    Paul

Unhappy

Paul – Interested to see your solution to this problem

Looking at the regulations for the headrest I am in the same boat.
    I do not want a huge headrest appearing from my low back seats.

My understanding is the headrest has to be 80x100 Min – Easy.

My concren is the Min distance to the top of seat…
    Is it 25 or 50mm
    I’d like to keep the headrests as small as possible but still obtain a 1st time Pass.

Again , hope you can oblige with a photo of yours or from those just watching would be appreciated.

Surprised that not many have replied with a detailed explanation or photos.

Hi there, Looks like you have a single hoop and seats which sit nice and low in the body so my solution wont really work. I have a single full width hoop which is very out of fashion now but allowed me to make a bar across them and then mounted Mini rear head restraints on it as they were quite big and looked ok with the seats. Even then it was really marginal because our seats have such low backs so keeping the seat gap and the full height is almost impossible without it looking stupid.
    Also you must make sure the seat belts do not foul the head rest. I only just scraped by mainly because he could see how much effort I put into the problem and did a job that looked permanent unlike my first attempt!
    If your seats are fixed I can only suggest my other plan which was to make a frame and bolt it onto the rear bulkhead and again mount mini or similar rear head rests bought off ebay.
    If your seats are on runners the head rests must be on the seat which is impossible in my case so the only other option is to fit seats out of something like an MX5 or small race seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Forgot to mention I also have to jack up my seats in my case so the top seatbelt mounts were in the right place not to foul
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast