Hybrid View

Head restraints and IVA rules

Me yet again ! I am trying to remake the head restraints having failed the IVA because the tester didnt consider them permanent or of a quality to meet the purpose. I am finding it an intesting challenge to meet the IVA rules and am confused at so many Cobras I have seen with round pads on the roll hoops.
    The rules say the head restraints have to be 700mm above the reference point (a 53mm block on the seat base) but also no more than 50mm gap above the seat and the head restraint. With Cobra seats with a relatively low back that makes the head restraint absolutely huge to meet both requirements!
    Also most seats sit under the rear bodywork leaving a gap of more than 50mm anyway.
    What are peoples experience of how to meet both requirements without having headrests the size of a large plate!
    I was trying to use head rests from a modern car but even those are not big enough !
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

This is not gospel and will need checking but I think if your seat is fixed then you can get away with fixed pads.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

yes they can definitiley be fixed, and yes my seats are fixed, it is the hight and 50mm gap I am struggling with
    Paul

Don't forget that some of the cars you see with different headrests may have passed the SVA test which was slightly less stringent!
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Hopefully I have a solution, modern mini rear head rests seem to be tall and wide enough to do the job with some custom mounts. What a lot of nonsense !
    Paul

Are you saying headrests are a load of nonsence? saved my life when someone ran into the back of me at 50+ mph,

Quote Originally Posted by Cobragreyhead View Post
    455EDF38-C9D2-4FCD-A306-219BDAD136D3.jpeg

I.m using these high backs with the headrest as part of the seat, slotted for the belts, just got to check the 450mm thing.
    they are bolted rigidly on brackets through the chassis on all four corners in a Dax body. Anyone used these and passed IVA?
    There’s a guy on here ‘1 day I will’ that has i’m sure, wink wink
    Yes, that was me. Used the high backed seats with no runners just rigid bolted to the chassis and seat belts through the holes. Passed IVA with no trouble at Gillingham which is one of the toughest test stations apparently.
    Colin
    Dax Standard Chassis. Ford 302, AOD auto, DB s/s sidepipes, 2017 T reg.

Top man! Snd thankyou

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/album...chmentid=36163
    Photo in my albums if that link doesn’t work.