Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the info chaps - will play with tyre pressures and knock up some temporary spacers from 1/2" ply to see what effect they have tomorrow when it finally stops raining - I'll report back then. Will be interested to see what your original spring measurements were too DGO when you get chance to measure and understand the bit about getting coil-bound over bumps - how many coils do they have? Also, the original rubber seats are fitted to the top of my springs currently.

Thanks, much appreciated. Phil

Made up and fitted my 1/2" ply spacers yesterday to increase preload and ride height. Was successful in that ride height increased and suspension travel thereby increased so that I have around 30mm effective travel (from about 20mm). Was appears to be the case is that the spring rate does seem somewhat too soft, even with additional preload (I've added 19mm from the bottom spring seats and 12mm from my ply spacers, so 31mm in total) and I still get the suspension to bottom out over larger bumps, with or without a passenger. I also measured my springs and they are 295mm free length (both the same), have about 7.5 coils and the spring metal is about 11mm dia at the top, increasing to about 14.5mm at the bottom - they are painted black and have no markings on them.

So still work in progress.................

.....fitted another 12mm spacer (preload) ring to each spring last night - haven't managed to make the suspension bottom yet and ride height/handling seem OK - springs also haven't got coil bound yet either. So now in total I have 2 x 12mm (24mm) spacers at the top of the springs and 19mm at the bottom = 43mm total. Ride quality is also OK too - my take therefore is that spring rate is probably OK, but spring length too short. Of course I have no clue what the current spring rate is though!

So for the time being I'll keep all my preload spacers in (the ply seems to be holding up OK at the moment) and get confidence that I'm happy with the set-up - then I'll have to bite the bullet and make some firm decisions/spend some cash............................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12