Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cortina Based Sumo Mk2 Spring Rates/Lengths

Well my recent YIPPEE post has lost some of its shine! The car is now registered, insured, on the road and generally working as it should (good) - problem now is that it seems to be short of suspension travel at the rear and the rear axle hits on the handbrake bracket when going over some bumps. Looking at the rear trailing arm to chassis clearance, looks like I've got about 20mm (that's all) available movement before they touch. Also, looking at pictures of other Sumos it looks like my ride height is low. So I suspect that I've got either the wrong length/rate springs in the back or that they've relaxed - this view is further reinforced by the fact that I'm able to compress the springs adequately by hand to remove/refit them when the car is on axle stands and the suspension is fully extended.

Anyone know what the right/best spring rate and spring length is and also where I can buy some from?

Thanks,
    Phil

Corrina rear axle or Granada?

Cortina - and it looks to be completly Pilgrim 'standard'.

Ah same as mine then. So before choosing springs you need to know which axle you have, later type had the hole that holds the lower axle to chassis arm lower which effectively reduced the ride height of the rear of the car around an inch.

The former Pilgrim owner Den (at her majesty's service) Tanner (kitcarman on the forum here) explained the spring rates here: Link

I'll have a look and see if I can find the different dimensions for the axle to arm plates

Thanks for that - was interesting to see that I'd contributed to the discussion on the link and thought I'd have the car on the road in 2013 - only 6 years late then!

Will be interested to read on the different axle types. Also after much searching on the forum found some info about spring seats from Superflex - have ordered a pair of 19mm ones and will report back when they arrive.

Got the 19mm spring seats from Superflex in the post today and put them straight onto the car. Has lifted the ride height by around 20mm I guess and certainly improved the suspension action - only over large bumps do I get it to bottom out now. So a big improvement, but still not as good as it could be.

OK a few questions:
    1. When was your car built? Pilgrim strengthened the rear springs around 1992
    2. What shox are you using and how old are they
    3. Have you checked the suspension bushes on the arms to the rear axle. Those being worn would add to your problem. Good supply of comparatively soft polys (softness needed due to the angle the axle moves at) here: Floflex though be careful you order exactly the right size as there are multiple size options on the lower arms (Ford changed those over the years)
    4. What tyre pressure are you running. Pilgrim's manual recommends around 20psi if you're running the standard 225 or 235/60R15s

1. The kit originally comes from 1991 according to the purchase receipt I have - I assume that the chassis matches the receipt.
    2. No idea what the shocks are off - they are non adjustable and could be the recommended Triumph Herald units possibly. Age is also unknown but assumed to be similar to the chassis.
    3. Bushes have all been replaced with the poly ones from Floflex (in fact I bought a few off you a few years back), so I think that part is in order.
    4. Tyre pressures currently about 26psi - the car feels wallowy enough so not keen to reduce further - tyres are 225/60/15 and are new.

Without knowing spring rates and lengths, my next thought was to add another 10mm of preload to the springs by fabbing some spacer rings for the top locating spigots.

What ya reckon?????????

26psi is a bit high... might even be too much to get a good contact patch. Could check by using chalk across the tyre and checking after a short drive. I run 23 rear 21 fronts on my mk2 rv8 which probably weighs the same as yours.. if it’s wallowy could be shocks/springs are a bit soft.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG66 View Post
    1. The kit originally comes from 1991 according to the purchase receipt I have - I assume that the chassis matches the receipt.
    2. No idea what the shocks are off - they are non adjustable and could be the recommended Triumph Herald units possibly. Age is also unknown but assumed to be similar to the chassis.
    3. Bushes have all been replaced with the poly ones from Floflex (in fact I bought a few off you a few years back), so I think that part is in order.
    4. Tyre pressures currently about 26psi - the car feels wallowy enough so not keen to reduce further - tyres are 225/60/15 and are new.

Without knowing spring rates and lengths, my next thought was to add another 10mm of preload to the springs by fabbing some spacer rings for the top locating spigots.

What ya reckon?????????
    Somewhere I have my original springs, let me see if I can find and measure them for you, they used to coil-bind over bumps so whilst your suggestion of a spacer would fix the ride height it might not stop the sudden bottoming-out effect. As a thought - you do have the original rubber seat that fits on top of the spring fitted?

Also when I can grab a few minutes I'll measure the axle to arm link.

On Shox I have Spax on mine though I'd go Gaz for adjustables if I needed to replacements. You can check the right ones here (the catalogue download is on the left): Gaz. If I'm right these are the ones: Larkspeed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast