Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not Cobra Related

My Daughter has a Toyota Yaris. The gearbox has failed. You can only get 3rd and reverse. Garages wanting £1,000 plus just to check the box and repair. Added cost of taking it out, shipping and refitting works out a big bill!
    Does anyone know who could assist in the Midlands or indeed had experience of this issue in the past?
    Cheers
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Not really much help but have had 2 Yarris - all worked perfectly, touch wood.
    How old is the car?
    You can get a good Yarris from autorader, albeit a few years old, for about £2k.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

And is it a good old fashioned polar bear killing infernal combustion Yaris, or one of the new tree-hugging hybrid ones? The latter will significantly complicate repairs, I imagine.. while the former are mechanically pretty simple..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Ebay is your friend, just had a quick look plenty on there for £200 or less but don't know which you would be looking for.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

I had something similar in a Seat Toledo. Different cars I know but check out the gear change linkages. Modern cars have their linkages made of plastic which go brittle and break up. I got one made of metal and all was well during the remaining time I had the car.
    Lots of FWD cars have odd linkage arrangements with balls and sockets affairs included. Any breakages or wear will affect the gears that can be selected.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I had something similar in a Seat Toledo. Different cars I know but check out the gear change linkages. Modern cars have their linkages made of plastic which go brittle and break up. I got one made of metal and all was well during the remaining time I had the car.
    Lots of FWD cars have odd linkage arrangements with balls and sockets affairs included. Any breakages or wear will affect the gears that can be selected.

David.
    Plus 1 on that. Check for simple/cheap issues before condeming it.

Saw a Wheeler Dearers episode a couple of weeks ago where Boxster owner more or less gave his car away, £1000 (after leaving it on his drive for about 4 years) due to a Tiptronic gearbox fault, turns out it only needed a gearbox oil and filter change and all perfect. Although as it was Wheeler Dealeres that could be a load of BS.

Thanks to all for replies. The Yaris is about 10 years old and not hybrid. The linkage is the issue I think but it is in the gearbox where the fault is. Ebay may be the way to go
    Cheers
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Hi Charlie,

Check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots seems to be the most common problem. Not sure if its the same year as yours.

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvdoRzU4zA

My Yarris:
    price £2k, 10 years old when i got it with 36k miles on the clock
    >50pmg and plenty of acceleration. 14k miles a year as a daily driver - been great.
    And its got a camchain - none of this shitty cam-belt change every 50k miles nonsense.

I'm sold on Toyotas as a daily driver.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Kevin,

Toyota's seem very reliable. I hope its a simple fix for Charlies gearbox just a linkage issue. I was speaking to a car dealer and he was saying he sells those all day long. He avoids Mercedes saying expensive repair bills and got burnt twice at auctions with supercharger issues being complex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast