XJ40 rear hub back plate

I have just been asked by a friend how difficult is to change a back plate on the xj40 rear hub, having never dismantled one I don't really know. His has failed due to rust and wants it doing and if it's pretty straight forward I will do it for him.

cheers

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Quite simple. Remove caliper, disc, handbrake shoes and cable and undo the 4 retaining bolts that hold it to the hub.

Fit new backplate if you can get one and rebuild

Haynes Manual is good for explaining the shoe fitting procedure as it’s far easier if fitted in a certain order.

Take Plenty of pictures of adjusters and springs etc before removal.

Providing everything comes undone and the backplate mounting bolts are not seized it’s a half hour job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Quite simple. Remove caliper, disc, handbrake shoes and cable and undo the 4 retaining bolts that hold it to the hub.

Fit new backplate if you can get one and rebuild

Haynes Manual is good for explaining the shoe fitting procedure as it’s far easier if fitted in a certain order.

Take Plenty of pictures of adjusters and springs etc before removal.

Providing everything comes undone and the backplate mounting bolts are not seized it’s a half hour job.
    Cheers Anthony,

I have fitted hubs to my car but they had been done by Wards, so I understand about the handbrake etc. I didn't know if the hub had to be pulled from the carrier to get the plate off or if you could do it as is. He has sourced a back plate although it did cost £40

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Hub will need removing but that’s just the driveshaft nut and a gentle tap from behind to get it out.

You may find it easier to take the whole carrier off of the lower arm and do it on the bench.

Cheers Anthony,

I will await the phone call when the back plate turns up

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012