Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cooper Cobra Radial GT Tyres...

Hi all,

It's time my cobra is treated to some new rubber. I currently have 215/60R15 front and 235/60R15 on Halibrand replicas. My heart is currently set on Cooper Cobra Radial GTs... I love the white lettering, and my dearly missed garage tinkering partner (Grandad) was a Cooper, but I wonder what the current consensus is on them?

I know the question has been raised in the past. Some people have said to avoid the Coopers in favour of Avons / Galaxys etc. and others say they're ok Character is higher on my priority list than performance as I'll only be rumbling along to shows and meets rather than tearing round a track, but obviously I don't want style (and sentiment) at the expense of substance.

Cooper only do 215/65s but I don't imagine that it'll be a be a problem jumping up from the current 60s? Or maybe I'll stick 215/60 Galaxys on the front... Or Galaxys all round... I don't know.

I must confess I don't know a great deal about tyres, so any advice would be welcome. And sorry for yet another thread on tyres

Thanks in advance,

Ross
    1978 Southern Roadcraft 3.5RV8

Hi, I have been searching tyres for my 15" wheels on an SR and have decided Galaxys are the only real option as all the others are not very well speed rated or cost a fortune. The Galaxys do have white writing but sadly not saying 'Goodyear' !
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

The galaxy's seem to have gone down really well everywhere I have seen.
    If you don't like the writing, you can have them mounted with it on the inside wall of the tyre.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I'm in the same situation as yourself with my S R ,
    I currently have Pirrelli 600's on rear and have Nankangs on the front ,did have Pirrelli 6000's originally on front but I changed them due to the rubber going hard .The Nankangs are a nice supple tyre and seem to wear well .
    All the tyres I have mentioned are the same profiles as yours .
    It has been mentioned before that the Galaxies are a good bet ?
    Regards,
    Chris.

I've been thinking about the Cooper Cobra's as well. Based on internet rumour, they're the same tire (other than a possible tread design variation) as the Mickey Thompson S/T. The Mickey Thompson seems to be the second choice after Avons with the American Cobra site members.

My only issue is it seems a little tacky to have tires with "Cobra" on them in raised white letters. Mind you having Mickey Thompson with raised white letters isn't much better! you know you'll get "What's with those Mickey Mouse tires?"

I think SunDude (a member here who lives in Ontario, Canada) bought a set of the Cooper Cobras. Maybe send him a PM asking about his experience...
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I had a set on mine before I went the peg drive wheel and Avon tyre route.

They were fine, I had mine fitted with the white letters on the inside, as like you said I thought it a bit tacky to have a Cobra with the tyre letters announcing it.
    For me they were fine, coped with the big block torque and several trips to and from Classic Lemans.

I didn't rag about much or purposely try and lose the rear end or wash out the front, and more overly they looked the part.

Ciao

NB Galaxies were not about then so had no choice for 15"

About time to pull the pin on tyres for me, too; likely 275/60VR15 rear and 245/60VR15 front, Galaxys from North Hants; because £520 for all four is hard to beat .. especially compared to £1700 for a set of four Avon CR6ZZ .. much as I'd quite like a set!

Heck, that's less than a set of tyres for any of my road cars!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

245s up front will look good, but will be heaving on the steering....or are you putting in that EPAS for old folks nonsense?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Yep - Corsa ePAS.. I mean, I'm over 40 now, so my T-rex arms will need all the help they can get
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Mine had the Cooper Cobra on when I bought it and have had no problems at all with them. Sound like we are similar in outlook - higher profile, traditional character look is more important than performance as long as I dont end up in a hedge. No ragging at track days for me but plenty of fast fun in a striaght line and not much pushing the back in the corners. Touring to France etc - for that they have fit the bill perfectly.

Andrew
    AK Gen1 - Ford 351W - Dream come true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast