Dating Chevy 350 Engine

Hi just a quick one.

I have now received photos of my block.

The casing number is 3970010, putting it as a 350 '69-80 4 bolt block.

Is this going to be acceptable for the IVA test, as the VIN number has been lost due to the block having been decked?

i also specified a pre 91 block to avoid CATS and emissions testing.

I have photos of either end of the block showing other numbers and letters........
    IMG_0258 (1).jpgIMG_0257 (1).jpg

Thanks for any feed back....please dont give me any bad news..........i dont think i could take it.......

Jules

PS i realize that Knight Racing, Roadcraft and others can provide me with a formal certificate in due course. Just asking in the first instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesdm View Post
    PS i realize that Knight Racing, Roadcraft and others can provide me with a formal certificate in due course. Just asking in the first instance.
    Where and who is supplying you this block? The Mexican blocks that caused all this dating thing were stamped with this casting number and with no other date codes on the block I would be very wary

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Thanks Paul, this is coming from a very reputable provider in Florida. We just could not locate a 4 bolt single seal block pre 91. Hence two piece 4 bolt. 5 year warranty, difficult i know with me in the UK but that is the pain with now trying to source an old aspirated engine!

There should be a casting date on the block, fairly central on the block on the bell housing flange. Something like “E038”. This site helped greatly with I.D.’ing my gen 1 350 block, plus other insightful help:

http://nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

020 & 010 may hint at a tin/ nickel content in the casting, but I couldn’t find any source to verify this with authority - happy to be informed...

A quick email to the tech dept. of IVA could help you be sure (very helpful and respond within a couple of days usually) though without a VIN Seph makes a strong point.

Additional stuff - you could enquire if there is a crack on the outer starter motor bolt mounting boss - mine has one and can an achilles heel on some of these older blocks - just a thought. Have they pressure tested it too? Photos of the bottom end of the bores wouldn’t go amiss either. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    There should be a casting date on the block, fairly central on the block on the bell housing flange. Something like “E038”. This site helped greatly with I.D.’ing my gen 1 350 block, plus other insightful help:

http://nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

020 & 010 may hint at a tin/ nickel content in the casting, but I couldn’t find any source to verify this with authority - happy to be informed...

A quick email to the tech dept. of IVA could help you be sure (very helpful and respond within a couple of days usually) though without a VIN Seph makes a strong point.

Additional stuff - you could enquire if there is a crack on the outer starter motor bolt mounting boss - mine has one and can an achilles heel on some of these older blocks - just a thought. Have they pressure tested it too? Photos of the bottom end of the bores wouldn’t go amiss either. HTH
    String, when they were sourcing the original 4 bolt 1 piece, they discounted two blocks due to cracks and weak spots. Hence why i ended up with the two piece engine. This was also scrutinized pre and post machining (as i am having it stroked). I will ask about the date code on the side. https://www.proformanceunlimited.com/ guys who are building it.

Looks like you’ll end up with a solid mouse

Thought you were just sourcing the block there and building it yourself, hence the queries. Strange they didn’t mention the date casting but you can ask. If they decked it they’ll have the VIN too (if noted) - always nice to know it’s original home, mine being from a truck, plus for your certificate. Best of luck.