Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For the enough go with larger cable as you will have no future worries on loading. The cost will not be that great on a 40 m run. 16mm will cover most of what you require. Also factor in a few double sockets spurs around the room for ease of access. Local distribution board with RCD's.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    For the enough go with larger cable as you will have no future worries on loading. The cost will not be that great on a 40 m run. 16mm will cover most of what you require. Also factor in a few double sockets spurs around the room for ease of access. Local distribution board with RCD's.
    My thoughts exactly, would much rather be too big than too small and you can't have too many sockets!

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    My thoughts exactly, would much rather be too big than too small and you can't have too many sockets!
    Girls and boys, don't get too excited with size, you can ask your wives and girlfriends about is biggest best ???

Unless you are going to install a tails service block in the supply from the meter to the existing consumer unit ( old days it was a Henley or Iscko block, think ) to connect this SWA to you will be limited to the MCB you are going to stick in the existing consumer unit for load, 30A, 45A etc and then you will have to get the conductor into that MCB, 10m can be a pig if its tight in the consumer unit and 16mm is a bstd and not possible in some of the new consumer units without a sort of spreader box. So consider how you will be supplying the SAW cable and end load, if you come off a 45A MCB in the existing consumer unit just rate the cable above this, BS 7671 Table 4D4A says a 6mm 3 core will take 49A, so there's your choice for a supply from a 45A MCB, given diversity then that would be ample.

The biggest welder for a domestic supply, 230v is 20A I can think of. You may need like I have to have a separate MCB for this @ 20A and run it to a commando socket. SFS will only be rated at 20A contacts and a 13A fuse in the SFS.
    Even if you have 2 welders I don't know anyone that good that can use both at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12