Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Can you replace the chassis and bodyshell on a car, or does that (in the eyes of the DVLA) make it an entirely new car?
    Surely, buy back the salvage, buy a new chassis/body and use the salvaged car parts to build a new car?
    Simon
    I think its the chassis that is the thing that would make it a new car with all the IVA and registration coming into play not the body.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Thanks for the input everyone. I have now spoken to the insurance company at length and for them to come to a deal for me to retain the car they will probably have to classify it as "S" as there is structural damage and that is why they are writing it off. I am arguing that Gardner Douglas can potentially straighten the chassis on their original jig so therefore an "N" classification may be justifiable. The car is now being sent to GD and they will assess it and argue the toss with the insurers' engineer.....watch this space.
    The question of IVA still needs to be resolved as I do not want to have to go through that process but will be guided by Andy at GD.

Regarding the cost vs insurance payout, I am trying to get evidence for a "true" value to be accepted as the insurers said it is largely a fallacy that you get a lower insurance premium based on an lower insured value and asked if I can submit a true valuation instead of what I paid for the car.....which was all I had to go on at the time.

The situation is that if I wish to keep the car after it has been written off then I will receive the insurance agreed value less 20% and less my deductible. I am now looking at how close I can get to this figure with the repair estimate.

More to follow....

Martin

GD maybe able to straighten the chassis but it's still structural damage and the insurance company will not want to be liable for any come back in the future if they class it incorrectly as a Cat N. Use what's left to build a new car or don't bother repairing the damaged one. Just my opinion.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I expect you are absolutely correct and will be asking Andy at GD what they can do. Do you have any views on whether a new chassis and body would automatically trigger the need for IVA? The running gear will be the same apart from a couple of bent bits and a refurbished steering rack. The engine was not damaged.

Martin

If you are going to change the body and chassis why not register the car as a new build? Same amount of work?You then have a new car and not a rebuilt Cat S. Would have thought changing the chassis would require a test of some sort, not really sure.

Andy

what Andy said.
    And swapping voer is a lot easier than building from scratch because you have a master copy to work from!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks Guys, plenty of alternatives to consider. I am sending the car to GD and will get a full assessment of repair vs new as they have been through this situation many more times than I have.
    I'll provide updates when I get a bit further along the process; it is certainly a learning curve I wish I hadn't had to take!

Have a great weekend; it looks like good driving weather.
    Martin

What ever you do will be right for you. Good luck.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12