sun visor coming loose

Passenger side sun visor keeps falling off due to the grub screw coming loose on one side.-
    I have re-tightened the grub screw several times, it then wobbles loose after 30 miles or so.
    Its at the point where I am nervous of stripping the thread if I tighten it more.
    Any suggestions?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I'm sure you must have thought of it, thread lock. Maybe there's a reason you don't want to.

Barry

maybe that's the solution - its just something have an aversion too, as it wont come apart easily when i next need to remove things (such as before paint).
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    maybe that's the solution - its just something have an aversion too, as it wont come apart easily when i next need to remove things (such as before paint).
    Kev,

Comes in various strengths

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrI...nU_pwhQDid0Es-

cheers
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

have you thought of helicoiling it if there is enough thread of course.

Could the screw be too long and bottoming out against the glass? I might be all wrong about that as I can't remember how they screw on, however if it bottoms against the glass, it won't hold as the threads aren't stressed in tension. Plus, the glass could break.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

If it's the style of visor I have with a tab which screws to the windscreen frame and then a hinge/clamp arrangement which clamps to the tab, then I had problems with them working loose too. If you overtighten the grub screw then the hinge/clamp breaks (done it). It's fairly weak, cast metal. I ended up remaking the metal tabs out of aluminium. I also drilled a small hole where the grub screw makes a slight depression on the aluminium tab so that the grub screw locks into the tab. There was another advantage that I was able to put a bit of a twist on the tab to accommodate the curvature of the windscreen and there were less stresses on the hinges.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ-Notts View Post
    If it's the style of visor I have with a tab which screws to the windscreen frame and then a hinge/clamp arrangement which clamps to the tab, then I had problems with them working loose too. If you overtighten the grub screw then the hinge/clamp breaks (done it). It's fairly weak, cast metal. I ended up remaking the metal tabs out of aluminium. I also drilled a small hole where the grub screw makes a slight depression on the aluminium tab so that the grub screw locks into the tab. There was another advantage that I was able to put a bit of a twist on the tab to accommodate the curvature of the windscreen and there were less stresses on the hinges.

Russ.
    Thanks - I might try just drilling a small c/s hole for the grub screw to bear down onto, and then add some weak threadlock.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Kev, try a small amount of clear silicone sealant 1st before you start any drilling etc,